Can't mount NTFS drive on mac - invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block:52398d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 10GB RAM, OS X 10.6.3 -imac 2GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10
Have been happily using a PC and Mac for a while now transferring files from PC to Mac via 2 Ext hard drives. One is FAT formatted the other NTFS.
I am aware that the MAC can only read the drives which isn't a problem.
Recently bought a third drive to use in the same way as before, formatted it to NTFS on my Windows PC but this drive fails to mount on either of my MAC computers.
I try to repair the disk in disk utility but the error -
invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block:52398d appears. What does this mean?
I have 200GB of large files on this drive but they won't appear on my MAC.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Grinwald

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It could be that there is a partition before the NTFS one on that drive. However small, it is preventing OSX from mounting the drive since it first comes across an unmountable partition

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 10GB RAM, OS X 10.6.3 -imac 2GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10
Thanks for the response. Yes, there is a 200 MB GPT Partition before the NTFS partitions. I first used this drive solely for my MAC so it was Mac journaled on my 64bit machine. I have a feeling this GPT partition is a left over from that. However, windows XP wont let me delete it and i can't mount the drive on my MAC so i'm stuck as how to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Can you reformat it on the mac side as one partition (get the files off from the PC first) as FAT

THen put the drive back on the PC and format its now single partition to NTFS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's a web site that has instructions on how to safely delete that GPT partition and get your drive back to one partition. LINK

Be sure you backup all the data on that drive first!

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Your post has been moved to a more appropriate forum. Please be sure to review the forum descriptions for the most appropriate forum.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others who may be looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the help and advice, currently backing up then i'll give it a try.
Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.