Is this normal (RPM + Temp Qs)

Reaction score
I have a 2009 13" Macbook and I've noticed recently (I might add, maybe it's because I'm becoming paranoid after knocking my laptop against my dresser (while trying to save it) as it fell to the floor) ...it seems to be making a lot of noise.

I'm pretty sure it's the fans, and out of curiosity I've looked through some forums and looked at some FAQ's for help, but I thought I'd just make a post and get your opinions.

Haven't noticed the noise before, seems pretty loud, but maybe it's only loud because I'm paying attention now?

Downloaded iStat Nano and the fans seem to be maxing out at 6200rpm... should this freak me out? Or is this fine, so it's trying to keep it's cool.

Sometimes it gets this bad when I'm just watching a video on youtube or having a few tabs open... nothing to ridiculous to ask of a macbook... it's not like I'm running WOW or something... but it's freaking me out.

The temps aren't too bad (probably because the fans working really hard)

HD: Macintosh HD 40º
CPU A 74º
Headsink A 63º
Headsink B 53º
Enclosure Bottom 35º
Northbridge 1 50º

FANS: 6200 RPM

Should I be concerned? Because the fans SOUND concerning... :S HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Watching flash video seems to take a pile of resources on Macs. You could try the html5 beta
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Your temps and fan are inline with what I see when watching flash. I do have a laptop chill pad running underneath my laptop and it helps keep the fans down and the machine a little cooler.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with Ivan, the temps and fan RPMs are not unusual. If the fans are noisy (very noticeable), you may have a bad bearing or a fan is off-balance due to an accumulation of dust on the blades. If it's out of warranty, it might not be a bad idea to pop off the bottom keep the fans from spinning, and give it and the air tracts a quick blast with some compressed air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
(I might add, maybe it's because I'm becoming paranoid after knocking my laptop against my dresser (while trying to save it) as it fell to the floor)

I'm with both of IvanLasston and Cwa107 on this one unless you're playing down the above portion of your post that I quoted. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.