A new, free, antivirus for Mac OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
That's nice, except there are no viruses on OS X! As I understand it, Mac virus software just stops you spreading them to PCs, which you're not likely to do anyway unless you manually propagate them, as the self-propagating mechanisms won't work on the Mac, as it doesn't have any viruses.

Or?

OP
K

kenjyoung

thermidor said:
That's nice, except there are no viruses on OS X! As I understand it, Mac virus software just stops you spreading them to PCs, which you're not likely to do anyway unless you manually propagate them, as the self-propagating mechanisms won't work on the Mac, as it doesn't have any viruses.

Or?

Or indeed, thermidor is right as in there are no viruses written for Mac OS X, yet! And it is the "yet" part of the statement that needs heed. I have been using Clam Antivirus for about a month now (using Tiger) and it has worked a treat. My Mini sits on my (mainly Windows) network and has found a couple of viruses that were on my Windows fileserver. The fileserver did not detect these - so in conclusion, even though the risk is almost nonexistent it is better to be protected than not (and especially if you are connecting to a Windows :spook: share!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I think that people who just chime in with "there are no viruses for Mac OSX!" are overly naieve. To assume it will never happen is foolish and in the long run is just asking for trouble. Imagine the time when someone does write a self-propogating virus that affects Macs...I don't think the end result will be pretty. Computing security should always be a focus whether a current threat exists or not.

Also how many Macs are never networked to a Windows machine in some way or how many Mac never use the Internet? I would venture to say very few. Even if a Mac has the opportunity to stop a Windows virus from spreading any further that's a good thing. Being good stewards of the computing world definitely has a positive side.

Reaction score
I've had protection from day one of using my Mac.. I have many windows friends, wouldn't want to infect them, plus it's just a matter of time before OX gets nailed with everyone buying a Mac now.. It just common curiosity to think of others, even if they have a pc.. hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I prefer to use anti virus software so that I will not spread the viruses to my windows machine. My computer is the computer in the house that can not get the viruses itself but I don't want to give viruses to my family because I am a carrier.

Reaction score
My computer is the computer in the house that can not get the viruses itself but I don't want to give viruses to my family because I am a carrier.
Exactly, I make fun of my PC friends bragging about not getting spyware or a virus, it would really be embarrassing to give someone one. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.