partition table is not listing [MacBook Leopard]

Reaction score
Hi,
I am running Leopard 10.5.8 on a macbook with an internal hard drive with 5 partitions.

Yesterday I bought a Western Digital (WD) 500GB portable hard drive and was able to access it on the macbook. It has an NTFS partition and a WD SmartDrive CD partition. I ejected the disk yesterday after use.

Today, when I again connected the disk, it did not mount.
I used "diskutil list" command to list the partition table. It listed all my internal hard drive partitions but then got hung while trying to list the partitions on WD disk. I had to do control-C to get the command prompt again.

After a few minutes, when I used "diskutil list" command again, it listed only the GUID partition of the internal hard drive and then got hung.

Now, after a few more minutes, "diskutil list" command does not list anything. It just hangs.

Also, now when I launch any application, it keeps bouncing in the Dock and never really opens up.

What exactly is happening to my mac? I am currently logged into it and am afraid that if I reboot it, my mac may become totally unusable.

Thanks for any help !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.