power mac with sony display

C

cleon

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a powermac and already have a Sony 19" SDM-S93 TFT display, would this work without any problems? Do i need to buy any extra cables? Please help, i'm new to this... :dummy:

Reaction score
I suggest you call Sony's 800# and ask them if it will ..just an idea, good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That monitor uses D-Sub connectivity (Never heard of that before)..PowerMacs use DVI so you will need some sort of adapter to connect it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
trpnmonkey41 said:
That monitor uses D-Sub connectivity (Never heard of that before)..PowerMacs use DVI so you will need some sort of adapter to connect it

:cool: "D-Sub connectivity" is nothing else than the 5pin D-Sub connector of a standard VGA connector, which can, of course, be connected to a PowerMac via the DVItoVGA adapter that came with it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well why don't they just say VGA...grr

OP
K

KuruMonkey

Because VGA is the name of a PC graphics standard (video graphics array).

D-SUB is an alternate name for HD15, which is the type of analogue video connector being referred to.

i.e. sony are referring to the types of connector the monitor has. and in actuality anyone referring to a DVI to VGA converter is talking the nonsense; they really mean a DVI to HD15 converter. But like the difference between Sarcasm and Irony; the vast majority of the world gets it wrong, and the minority generally put up with it, because telling 95% of the world they are wrong is a painful and futile activity...

The short of it is that the monitor does claim to be Mac compatible, so a converter will get you going with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
KuruMonkey said:
Because VGA is the name of a PC graphics standard (video graphics array).

D-SUB is an alternate name for HD15, which is the type of analogue video connector being referred to. ...
For that matter, there is no such thing as a "PS/2 port." They're really 6-pin min-DIN connectors.

There is no such thing as an "ethernet cable" either. Those are really Category 5/5e/6 UTP cables, with RJ-45 connectors. Ethernet is a networking standard, not a type of cable.

But far more people will understand you if you say VGA, PS/2, and Ethernet. Usage defines language, not the other way around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.