New iMac. Worth keeping G5 as server?

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I just got a shiny new 27" iMac. I am a graphic designer so having various backup solutions in place is of utmost importance to me. I kept all my work files, iphoto library and itunes library on my old G5 and set it up as a file server using a fresh Leopard install and turning on File Sharing, Screen Sharing etc.

It seems to work well, files save quick enough, open quick enough etc. No real complaints...

But I also got an Airport Extreme and I was wondering if just hooking up a USB hub to it with a few large USB drives for various backups, Time Machine backup etc. would be a better solution as I could sell my G5 (over a TB of space, 4G of Ram, 20 inch cinema display) for a decent sum still.

Also with the 1 TB of hard drive on the iMac I have plenty of room to move iPhoto and iTunes back to the iMac so they run a bit snappier and it would all be included in my Time Machine Back up as well.

What are your thoughts? Just wondering if having a G5 powered on is overkill just for file storage and backup.

OP
L
Reaction score
For the right price, sure!
:D

Thinking I am going to sell my G5 rig and go with FW800 drives for backup etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.