Cracked MacBook screen! help?!

Reaction score
My boyfriend threw me the remote to the tv and it bounced off of my keyboard and hit the screen. Unfortunately, it hit it hard enough to crack my screen. Its cracked almost in the middle and little cracks go all across the screen in different directions. You can see where it actually hit and its a little discolored, then in the bottom right corner it's A LOT discolored! So before my boyfriend hands out 1300 for a new Mac, is it possible for me to purchase a new screen and if so where could I go to have someone replace it? Because I do not want to try that task by myself. If anyone can help, THANKS!!! *Pictures attached.

Photo0818.jpg

Photo0819.jpg

Photo0820.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
Screen Mac Parts - iFixit
For replacement service, any Apple service centre..... would be around $100 for the labour.
The instruction to replace it yourself are on that site, but to be safe, if you are not handy with tools, etc.... paying someone qualified to do it is worth the hour labour cost that it should be.
You can ring around to get a quote for exact labour cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'm assuming it's a unibody Macbook? I broke the screen on my old, multi-part Macbook and replaced it myself several times. I'm not sure what to do with the unibody ones since I don't own one, but I imagine 6string's right that it's easier to let someone else do it.

IIRC, official Apple stores charge about $800 for a screen replacement (which is absolutely ludicrous), so you'd be better off with an unofficial Apple location, but I honestly don't know if their prices differ that much...

OP
J
Reaction score
and toboggan

corbab- thanks for the help, mine is an older one, from 2007 so I don't think it is a unibody.

Reaction score
Cracked screen? HELP.

My phone flew out of my hand today and hit my BRAND NEW MacBook screen! It hit the very top left corner and theres a miniscule crack there. Its a dot with smal very small spidery lines coming off from it adn it just makes the immediate area around the small dot a little lighter. the whole cracked area in all covers probably around one inch. Not the crack exactly, because thats jsut a small dot but thats including the small spidery lines that jut out. I JUST bought it this week, and I just dropped my iTouch in the toilet so theres not much I can do. My grandpa is going to kill me if my computer breaks. Were not the richest people. PLEASE tell me this Teensy little spot wont ruin my computer. :( Love, Olivia, distressed teen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Seems like you've had a run of very bad luck. Dropping your iTouch in the toilet and now cracking the screen of your MacBook. That small crack will probably grow over time. The LCD screen gets fairly warm when it's on and that will cause some expansion around the crack. After a while it can cause it to get larger.

Probably best to tell your parents what happened now. Replacing the screen on a MacBook can cost $300 or more if you do it yourself, much more if Apple does it.

Reaction score
Seems like you've had a run of very bad luck. Dropping your iTouch in the toilet and now cracking the screen of your MacBook. That small crack will probably grow over time. The LCD screen gets fairly warm when it's on and that will cause some expansion around the crack. After a while it can cause it to get larger.

Probably best to tell your parents what happened now. Replacing the screen on a MacBook can cost $300 or more if you do it yourself, much more if Apple does it.

Not to mention if you flex the screen at all or leave it in the cold or heat and then open it, the crack with spread like a crack in your windshield!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.