No internet if wireless network is password protected

Reaction score
I cant get connected to the web via my password protected wireless access point. Removing network password or connecting via ethernet will give me access to the internet.

Please help. Believe me I have been searching for a solution for over week

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of protection are you running? There are some reports that WEP doesn't always work right and the suggestion is to run WPA or WPA2 (plus WEP doesn't really protect much anymore anyway)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
What happens when you try to connect? Error message?

OP
L
Reaction score
What type of protection are you running? There are some reports that WEP doesn't always work right and the suggestion is to run WPA or WPA2 (plus WEP doesn't really protect much anymore anyway)

It was working with WPA until last week when it just stopped. If I apply any level of protection it just wont connect. Like I said no protection or ethernet then we're good.

What happens when you try to connect? Error message?

Safari just says "can’t connect to server" and network preferences is intermittent between airport connected to the internet via my network and airport is turned on. Network Diagnostics reports Internet and Server failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Well the good news is - when no protection is on at least you get onto your network.

Can you try setting the password to something simple - no special characters - as the next test? Maybe there is a character interfering.

Is there another network you can try attaching to that is WPA? That will narrow it down to either your router or your computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does it connect, but show an "!" in the wireless strength meter in the menu bar?

Did someone turn on MAC filtering, by chance?

What make/model wireless access point is it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something to try, BTW...

Open System Preferences => Network => Click AirPort in the left pane

• * Click the Advanced button to the bottom right

* Click the AirPort tab

* Click to highlight the network name in the list

* Click the minus ( - ) sign to remove the network

* Click OK

* Close the Network window

* Reconnect to the wireless network using the AirPort item in the menu bar.

Definitely do not leave your wireless access point unprotected.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok so I went to my brother's and managed to connect to his password protected network. I could be right in concluding it is something to do with the access point. I have tried deleting and setting up new connections and I do not know much about MAC in networking. I might take the access point to my bruv's and see if i can set it up there or change equipment from unnamed cheap in-store brand to a more well established one like Belkin or Linksys

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I went to my brother's and managed to connect to his password protected network. I could be right in concluding it is something to do with the access point. I have tried deleting and setting up new connections and I do not know much about MAC in networking. I might take the access point to my bruv's and see if i can set it up there or change equipment from unnamed cheap in-store brand to a more well established one like Belkin or Linksys

Linksys or D-Link. Don't bother with Belkin.

But before you rush out to buy a new one, do this:

Remove the power from your existing router. Find the recessed "RESET" button on the back or bottom. Press and hold the reset button with a paper clip. Plug the power in and continue to hold that button for 30 seconds.

This will do a factory reset on the router. You will then need to configure it as though it were brand new. Enable WPA/WPA2 wireless security. DO NOT TURN OFF SSID BROADCAST. If the router is using a common channel like 11 or 1, switch to something less common (I like 8 or 3).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.