• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iTunes 4.9 with Podcast support available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey People!

iTunes 4.9 is now available via software update.
It includes really nice Podcast support via the iTunes Music store and enables a seamless sync to your iPod.

It also adds new options to remove old podcasts and also seems to make most podcasts bookmarkable!

Apparently it also adds support for the iTunes enabled phone to be released by Motorola.

My only gripe so far is that the podcasts can clutter up your artists menu, as each different podcast shows up as an individual artist.

I'd like an automatic renaming option. Any ideas for an automator workaround?

T

Tel

I'm glad its out, I'll have a tinker with automator, I wont like my artist list cluttered either.

I

iMe

Great!!!.....That means the chances for iBook/Powerbook updates on July 7 is REALLY high!!!....I first thought that the July 7th event was made just for iTunes, but I guess not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
i second that

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
There were announcements yesterday like crazy that this was coming today, but I guess they were right. Wow! Jeez, this is great. Now I can delete all this third party software. And all I need to do now is make my smart playlists, and I'm off.

Anybody got some good podcasts to recommend?

Right now, I listen to TWiT, Dawn and Drew, and Leo Laporte the Tech Guy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I saw that it was out today too, I am excited, tried to download it off the site but for some reason did not work, I am going to do its again soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
al franken!!!

edit:EVERYONE DOWNLOAD AL FRANKENS POD CAST AND HELP HIM ACHIVE WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

I

iMe

iWhat said:
Anybody got some good podcasts to recommend?

Right now, I listen to TWiT, Dawn and Drew, and Leo Laporte the Tech Guy.
Read my signature of course :yinyang: !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Nice...A couple of interesting things about this-- one is that they released the PC version at the same time (I'm not totally familiar with Apple's release schedule, but last time I think there was a delay of a couple of weeks before the PC version got the update), two is that Audible.com has set up their subscription based stuff to work as podcasts.

Apple did a nice job with this-- looks like podcasting is about to hit critical mass.

Edit: Looks like a number of Podcast sites have gotten knocked off-line by people trying out the new podcast feature of iTunes. "Dawn and Drew", "WGBH Morning Stories" and "Inside Mac Radio" aren't working right now (Dawn and Drew's website appears to be down as well). Of course they are on the recomended section of Apple's website, so everyone and their grandmother probably subscribed to them.

B

badmojo

The new podcast feature is really nice but the podcast sys prefs are a little confusing, imo. I have mine set for "keep most recent episode" but does this mean it will automatically delete older episodes? I'm hoping that's the case. Once you get to subscribing to 5 or more of these things, managing them manually would be a chore. Any input here would be appreciated.

edit: I also think it's only a matter of time before Apple charges a (nominal) monthly fee to access podcasts.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.