Repair boot volume without dvd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Hi,

My MBP has a broken superdrive that I'm not very keen on fixing since I never use it anyway. I'm trying to repartition my harddrive, but it won't work because the volume needs repair (some minor errors, it seems). How do I repair the volume without booting into a boot DVD like I normally would? Is there a way to boot from a usb drive and do it? Any other way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Since you don't give any detail as the what the "minor errors are."
If you have enough room on your HD, which if not, could be your partitioning problem, other than the fact that you are trying to partition a drive that you are booted from :)
You can download Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and clone your HD onto an external drive. This will give you a bootable clone of your system that you can boot from holding option while you boot, and then selecting the drive when it shows up.
You can then go to disk utility once booted, select your internal HD and do what you want from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
How do I repair the volume without booting into a boot DVD like I normally would? Is there a way to boot from a usb drive and do it? Any other way?

Answer to your first question is 'yes'. An Intel mac will boot from a USB external drive.

Second question - 'yes', providing you have access to another Intel Mac. Boot one or other Mac in Target mode How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode.

Repair can be carried out either way. I'd use option 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.