New MBP 13" Battery Life

Reaction score
Just barely got my new MBP 13". Love it, but one major issue.

I bought this puppy for a few reasons, but chief among them was the advertised and independently reported 10 hour battery life.

So...

Why am I only getting 5-6?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why am I only getting 5-6?

What are you doing on the computer when you only get 5-6 hours?

Doing different things...and different preference settings will effect battery runtime.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And if you really read what it says .... "Up to 10 Hour battery life"

As Nick posted What are you doing with it ??? I bought my 13" 2 dys ago and i got 9.3 Hrs of battery life doing nothing apart from having the lid open and airport searching for a wireless network for the whole time :) Im happy with my Battery life.

Have you done a Calibration~  Support??

Cheers

OP
Connaught
Reaction score
Calibrating per that link tomorrow... and thanks.

I will report back when I get new numbers.

(set sheepish grin = 1)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It all depends on what you are using. You will never get close to the 10 with the screen up to full, keyboard lit, etc.

I took mine into work Tuesday morning at 8, worked all day and closed the lid to suspend. Wednesday morning opened up the laptop and worked until 12:30 and I was at 9% battery. Below is how my machine was set to get the result.

Screen brightness @ 50%
Keyboard light off
Airport off (used ethernet)
screen sleep after 10 minutes
I use a SSD, so that should help too.
No CD-ROM use

You can get some great times, but you really have to minimize usage of features.

Reaction score
The Air lasted for nearly 4 hours of mixed use, including video playback, software installation, Web surfing, and productivity tasks. That's reasonably close to Apple's 5-hour claims.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 Inch Aluminum 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
i have never gotten 10. But I always have my screen really bright and the keyboard too. So I guess that's why. I have calibrated but I need to do it because it's been like a month. Right now I have just over 6 hours on a full battery with screen at halfway and keyboard too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I have the 2009 model, and have good battery life. Just calibrating your battery will help the lifespan of your battery, so make sure you at least do this once a month. And if it's plugged in all the time, makes sure to drain your battery once or twice a month, and calibrate it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The two things that got my battery life to report 7 hours (I have a late 2009 MBP) was battery calibration and following JohnCL's post. I actually had Wifi on, bluetooth off, and the video card set to the slower integrated card too - then the battery time was reported at 7 when fully charged. Otherwise it always reports 4-5 on a full charge. It seems the keyboard light was the key to getting the highest reported battery life available.

OP
Connaught
Reaction score
AFter calibration I am showing about 4 but getting closer to 5 or even 6.

WIFI on, Btooth off, keyboard light off, screen at 100% which is not an option for me. I bought the machine for a few reasons and the screen was one of them.

Not sure if the battery is working right or not. Next time I am close to an Apple store I will have them test it for me.

All in all... I LOVE the new machine. Love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The screen brightness will make a huge difference in your battery time. I have not seen any posts that point at battery issues on the 2010 MBP's. There are times, depending on environment that I use mine with the brightness at 1 or 2 and that makes a big difference.

OP
Connaught
Reaction score
Turning the screen down to 50% after a full charge changed estimated battery time from 4 hours to 5.5 hours.

Gotta say... I should be getting more than that with bluetooth off, wifi only, about 6 apps open and none of them processor intensive whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Turning the screen down to 50% after a full charge changed estimated battery time from 4 hours to 5.5 hours.

Gotta say... I should be getting more than that with bluetooth off, wifi only, about 6 apps open and none of them processor intensive whatsoever.

Setting my machines hardware exactly like yours and opening a few apps from a 100% battery shows my time at 8:14. I do have an SSD installed, and I would love to see what the difference there is.

C

chas_m

Try keeping just one app open at a time. You may not think they are processor intensive, but they are still active and thus drawing at least some resources.

I am from the oldest era of popular computer usage and RAM was always at a premium, so I got in the habit of by-and-large keeping only one app open at a time. Sometimes of course you need more than that but overall I tend to only open apps when I need them and close them when I don't.

This allows my 2007 Blackbook with an uncalibrated and rarely-used battery to still give me 4-4.5 hours of use (50% screen btw, I find 100% too bright) three years after purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.