Linux on an iMac

N

nko

Hi, I've got a newer G4 iMac with a geForce 2MX 32 MB, I believe. Mandrake, the only PPC distro that'll seem to boot, can't set up X too well, telling me the best driver is fbdev. It wont let me do more than 16 bit color. Are there any fixes for this / better drivers?

Also, I've got a Logitec 3 button (wheel) mouse, and it refuses to be properly detected. If I set it up as a standard mouse, indicating 2 buttons, I think, it detects when I'm clicking the middle, but it won't do the wheel part of it. any fix for that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I've used Yellow Dog on the 17" model of your iMac. It works. It is basically a RedHat distro customized for Mac hardware. Took a little to get it installed. It worked fine. I decided to remove it. But this was my first time working with Mac paritions. It was a little tricky, but I got it to be completely removed. It works. if you know what you're doing, it's worth the time to check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.