Which application to use to go through PDF documents!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

I have posted a similar question in the past.

But still facing the same problem, on my Mac I am not able to read through PDF documents which contain several different multimedia functions, the basic sections I can read because I can see them. But, the rest is not made visible so I really dont know what media / document it contains!

I have been able to see and read those PDF files on my windows based system, but now cant do it and in fact I want to use my MAc for it!

If you have faced a similar situation, could you pls kindly guide me, what exact application you have used and the portal you get it from.

I went through all application portals that I am aware of and most were of no use to my situation...!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi Juke179,

thank you for the useful details.

It seems the "preview", is the one that will meet my needs. Where to downloaded it, I did search it but cant locate the actual download link? Also, which version is the most appropriate for me?

Schweb, I did try the adobe reader but, it wasnt any useful to my needs as most of the documents multimedia sections I am not able to see / read!

Also, can someone please clarify whats the difference between a pdf reader and viewer?

C

chas_m

Preview is -- and always has been -- already on your Mac.

The difference between a "reader" and a "viewer" is nothing.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas m,

if it is the case than why cant I see the multimedia content of the PDF that I received, juke179 listed that "preview is able to make visual?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Schweb, I did try the adobe reader but, it wasnt any useful to my needs as most of the documents multimedia sections I am not able to see / read!

Well then you may not have an actual PDF document. Adobe Reader is cross platform and what it opens on one platform it should easily handle on another.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as I said I can only see parts of the pdf file but not all! attachment indicates "PDF". and the documents has all the typical features of a PDF file! But only the text section is being made visual, not the other sections...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the latest version of Adobe Reader cannot open it, it was probably created by some other pdf creator of which there are several out there now on the windows side and it's not a fully compatible pdf. Which means, without knowing which program actually created this file, it's unlikely that you'll find anything for OSX that will open it properly.

edit:
It's also possible you do not have the necessary codecs installed on your Mac for all the audio/video formats that are supported by pdf.

Make sure you have at least the latest versions of Flash, Shockwave, Flip4Mac and Perian installed.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, bobtomay,

thanks again for your support!

Let clarify here something, how do I know what kind of exact "pdf" file it is?

How to make a non fully compatible pdf file visible? Also, as I said I have no issues opening those files, the proble I seem to face is I cant make the multimedia sections of the pdf file visible! I need most of the functions that a "preview" can support!

I assume with "Adobe Reader" you are talking about Adobe initiated software!

How can I know from the files, which kind of "pdf" program created those files? (the attachment indicates only "PDF"!

How and where can check to see, that I have the latestlatest versions of Flash, Shockwave, Flip4Mac and Perian installed?

Thank you for your guidance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How and where can check to see, that I have the latestlatest versions of Flash, Shockwave, Flip4Mac and Perian installed?
Flash: rich Internet applications | Adobe Flash Player
Shockwave: Adobe - Adobe Shockwave Player
Flip4Mac: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx
Perian: Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

If Adobe Reader can't open it properly, I doubt very much that anything else will. Ask the person who sent it to you what kind of media it is that they embedded into the document.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
how do I know what kind of exact "pdf" file it is ..... How can I know from the files, which kind of "pdf" program created those files?

Select the file and Get Info > More Info. There you *should* be able to see how the document was created (eg. see attachment). That may establish why you can or cannot see all the media present in the .pdf file. It may be that you need to make clear to your correspondents that you cannot view everything being sent to you.

By "multimedia", to what are you referring? Pictures, diagrams?

I wonder too if you need the Full Monty of PDF, ie. Adobe Acrobat Pro, in order to view complex documents. Preview is good, but it's basic. Acrobat Reader, the free version, should however show you most, if not all, of what is in a .pdf file.

How and where can check to see, that I have the latest versions of Flash, Shockwave, Flip4Mac and Perian installed?

Using Command-F, type those titles individually into the search field. That will reveal where the files are stored. Once again, Get Info, and then compare the versions with what the latest are (or should be). To determine that, ask here, or search with Google.

Edit: I see vansmith has provided you with essential information.

Picture 7.png

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

appreciate all infos...!

As I have indicated I can view all the "PDF" files on windows pc's, but for some reason I cant view them on my Mac, I did check all the links you guys gave to get the latest updates!

Multimedia, in my view refers to texts, Pictures, diagrams, flash, audio, video embedded into a PDF!

I have told the creator, that I cant view those multimedia pdf doc's on my Mac, but on my pc' they find it strange but at the same time tell me that all the users they know are using window based laptops!

Anyhow, yes I asked this before but today, I did realize an issue and cant seem to make sense of it! Why is it possible to view an "opened" pdf file as a whole, but than why cant u see on a save pdf file the whole file as can be done with an "opened" file from an email / portal!

FYI, as it seem all my software on my Mac is upto date!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi,

I have also an other issue with PDF files; would be thankful to any useful hints!

Well, if you open a PDF file on a Mac, some seem to have a security setting that they are not suppose to have. Anyhow, coz of that it doesnt allow u to use the "save as" function via the file tab.

However, on a windows based laptop the same document doesnt seem to appear to have a security setting, therefore can be save e.g. on desktop!

If you have faced a similar situation on your Mac, how were you able to save that PDF on to your Mac?

Reaction score
This is an old thread but does anyone know what app will allow me to extract/play the mp3 audio embedded in some pdf files I have....??? - Will Preview suffice...?? - I have an iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.