Macbook Pro Screen Broken, use External Monitor to Install Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hello,
My MacBook Pro Screen is broken. I Currently use an external monitor. I want to install Snow Leopard on my computer but when the computer restarts to enter the installation mode, my external monitor will not pick up the display. Is there a way to make my External Monitor the primary display for the computer? (I already have the external monitor mirrored) I want the external monitor to pick up all the installation process.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. Operate the MBP the same way as you would in "Clamshell" mode. The external display will automatically become the primary. I operate my MacBook that way when at home. I keep the lid shut on the MacBook, have an external USB keyboard and USB mouse attached. Turn on the MacBook, immediately shut the lid and the video will automatically go to my large external monitor.

You must be on AC power for this to work. Will not work on battery only.

Regards.

Reaction score
Same problem but I want to load Windows 7

Hello,

So I had the same problem but I want to load Windows 7. I tried your solution with snow leopard and wola, it worked. Then when I tried it with the Bootloader and windows seven no luck. About 1/10 of my laptop screen works so I can see that it gets to the windows install screen, but no luck after that because I can't select any options. Any ideas?

Alexander

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I already answered this in your other post. Please don't cross post. As I stated to you already, sometimes it works from clamshell mode, sometimes it won't. The best way is to replace the display. In the original post above, the OP never posted back to say whether or not it worked for him?

Reaction score
Sorry

Sorry for the cross post. I put it here then realized I should start a new thread for it. Clamshell at least let me get into OSX bootloader.

cez

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the macbok pro broken screen, using external monitor, and trying to upgrade to snow leopard but not being able to see the entire screen (F7 mirror-mode doesn't switch it back).

When I researched the Clamshell mode, it requires an external usb or bluetooth keyboard. Is using an external keyboard the only way to operate in clamshell mode and thereby use the external monitor as the primary?

Or is there another option that doesn't involve having to get more equipment?

Thanks for the help. Maybe the original poster came to some other conclusion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An external USB keyboard is inexpensive and likewise for the mouse. You can pick both up at Wal-Mart for probably $25 to $30. Any USB keyboard and mouse will work, they don't have to be Apple branded.

Reaction score
Clamshell mode + shared screen

I have the same problem with the macbok pro broken screen, using external monitor, and trying to upgrade to snow leopard but not being able to see the entire screen (F7 mirror-mode doesn't switch it back).

When I researched the Clamshell mode, it requires an external usb or bluetooth keyboard. Is using an external keyboard the only way to operate in clamshell mode and thereby use the external monitor as the primary?

Or is there another option that doesn't involve having to get more equipment?

Thanks for the help. Maybe the original poster came to some other conclusion?

I share the screen on the broken mac, via another mac computer, and it now works in a clam mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
I just installed S/L via clamshell mode because my macbook screen was cracked,worked perfect for me,
you need to use a,usb keyboard,mouse, & make sure the laptop charger is connected,& close the lid & you should be ok..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.