Macbook Pro decision HELP!!

Reaction score
Ok, so first Mac based product I'll ever be purchasing. I am dead set on getting a Macbook pro as my first laptop. Ok, so my dilemma is based on money and screen size. This will be a college laptop, it will be used for essays, some graphic design, web surfing and general tasks. I also have a desktop PC I use for some of my tasks as well. Biggest question is, is a 15" laptop TOO big for lugging around school? I REALLY want the 15" but the problem is it makes my funds a little tighter than I'd like, but I don't want to "settle."

I'm confused and my mind is completely made up on the 15" i5, but it may not be a feasible choice. So any advice is helpful, my biggest hiccup is I feel I may be disappointed with the smaller screen size. Advice like "get what you want" and "don't settle" isn't helpful. I'm talking more speed, size and how the 2 compare, any help is so appreciated, thanks.

Oh also I have heard you can hook up a monitor to the laptop and make it a bigger screen? Not sure how that all works, if so that may convince me to go with a 13" because I have a 19" desktop screen I can use at home to make the experience more enjoyable.

C

chas_m

I've been using a 13" MacBook for years. When its a home, I have it hooked up to a nice large 2nd monitor. I've found that this arrangement works well for me and keeps things lighter and simpler when I'm on the go. You might consider that option.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've been using a 13" MacBook for years. When its a home, I have it hooked up to a nice large 2nd monitor. I've found that this arrangement works well for me and keeps things lighter and simpler when I'm on the go. You might consider that option.

Ok cool so how does that all work with the 2nd monitor? It makes it almost like an extended desktop correct? you can drag from one screen to the other? I'm leaning towards the 13" now because of price and portability. The i5 and 15" would be nice but may be overkill. Anyone have a new 2010 13" 2.66ghz, are they still pretty fast?

C

chas_m

Ok cool so how does that all work with the 2nd monitor? It makes it almost like an extended desktop correct? you can drag from one screen to the other?

Yes to all. You have the choice of using the 2nd monitor as a mirror OR as an extended desktop as you describe. I use the latter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have only recently upgraded to the 13" MBP and couldnt be happier. And i know its a optical illusion, but side by side the MBP screen size looks so much bigger than the MB.

That doesnt help you but i have only just noticed it and am stoked :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes to all. You have the choice of using the 2nd monitor as a mirror OR as an extended desktop as you describe. I use the latter.

Oh ok awesome! Thanks!

I have only recently upgraded to the 13" MBP and couldnt be happier. And i know its a optical illusion, but side by side the MBP screen size looks so much bigger than the MB.

That doesnt help you but i have only just noticed it and am stoked :)

really? lol I think the 13" don't look a lot smaller than the 15" but the 15" just seem so sexy haha. I don't want a macbook though, my sister told me I should get one because they're only $999 I told her NO WAY! I don't like them, they are all plain white and boring.

Reaction score
I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I love it and find the screen size to be just fine when working on it as a laptop. When I'm at home I plug it into my Samsung CLD TV and have no issues.

-Nate

OP
C
Reaction score
I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I love it and find the screen size to be just fine when working on it as a laptop. When I'm at home I plug it into my Samsung CLD TV and have no issues.

-Nate

Nice! Thanks I'm loving all the positive feedback. I'm definitely leaning more towards the 13" version.

OP
C
Reaction score
gangling statement

Oh ya random question does anyone know if there is a benefit from buying from Apple? Because I'm a silver member at Best Buy and can get like 1500 points ($15 in gift certificates) if I buy it from best buy.

C

chas_m

It doesn't really matter where you buy it. But it DOES matter where you take it for servicing if you ever need to.

Hint: not Best Buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.