Setting up a Mac wireless music system

Reaction score
Hello Mac-heads!

Hope everyone is well.

I am renovating my house and I am trying to set up a wireless music system on my ground floor. I am thinking of purchasing 2 stereo speakers and installing them in the ceiling of the kitchen and living room of my open concept home.

I have a Macbook Pro and an Airport express.

Do i need an amplifier...or can i just run from my laptop through the Airport express to the speakers? Will this be loud enough?

And if people think this is ok...where would you run the wires?

All the best,

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I don't think the airport has the drive you need to drive speakers directly. It is pretty much either line out or optical out so yes you would need some kind of amplifier.

I would run the wires in the wall to a nice spot where the amplifier would sit. Then you could plug in any source into the amp, airport express, ipods, anything that would play through the speakers.

Consider also getting airfoil - then you can play anything not just itunes through your airport express.
Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil for Mac: Wireless Audio Around Your House

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.