• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to Recreate This Video On a Mac

Reaction score
I made a timeline a few years ago and I like to keep it updated (its something nice to look back on).

But I just switched over to Mac, and I can't take the file with me from my windows, so I want to recreate it on my Mac, and make it better than ever! (It was previously made on Windows Movie Maker, and IMO considering I was using movie maker, it came out pretty good)

But I'm unsure of what program to use, I have Final Cut Express 4, but all my video is made up of is still pictures, text, and video transitions...and none of the programs I have seem to be too good with text (there's only 5 boring text animations).

Here's my video to help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

1992-2009 Timeline from RJVetter831 on Motionbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If you still have all the raw files (audio, pictures) you used in the video, you should easily be able to re-create it. You won't need Final Cut for that kind of stuff, iMovie is sufficient. What version of iLife do you have? (I am assuming the newest version since you recently switched?)

C

chas_m

iMovie is already on your Mac and will do most of this easily. Different, but ultimately better.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm notsure how though, it only has like 4 text transitions and seems kind of boring, but I ahve the newest MAcbook Pro and do have all the audio and pictures.

Although I might remake the entire thing and get entirely new pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Importing the actual footage and images shouldn't be a problem, but things like transitions and effects will not transfer over into iMovie as far as I know.

Also, keep in mind that iMovie is VERY different from Windows Movie Maker. Be prepared to learn how to use it first. Here is a page of brief tutorials:

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

If I were you, I'd start previewing them now so you aren't caught off guard when you finally get started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You already have Final Cut Express - IMHO is to use it instead of iMovie. For one thing, it's sequence based (AKA timeline) which would be similar to Movie Maker (as movie maker uses a timeline. FCE allows for multiple layered video tracks tho). Scrolling titles similar to what you had in that other video can be done with a little bit of thought to it.

For example - the one where there are multiple of the same title with different levels of transparency and different directions/speeds of scrolling (ie: 1992, 1995, etc.).

Just have a different video layer for each speed/direction and use motion settings to move the viewable text across the screen for the given length of time. Use alpha levels to change the transparency of each layer of text.

Anything that appears on, scrolling across, fades in/out, etc. is easy in FCE. The beginning titles are just stills of text with the text slightly offset to give an attempted drop shadow appearance (might want to change the shifted text color, kinda looks more out of focus then a drop shadow IMHO). The title that was like 1992 - 2009 timeline might be a little more challenging (you'd probably need to do two titles, the solid one that stops at it's point and then some how an outline version that keeps zooming till it goes completely out of frame.

People who use iMovie would probably find solutions in iMovie - I use FCE and FCP more often so that's where I tend to see the solutions :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.