Having trouble making a decision on notebook

Reaction score
Hey guys hoping I could get some guidance.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a 2.53/2.66 15 inch Macbook pro with the i5 processor and a 2.66 core 2 duo processor on the 13 inch?

screen size isnt an issue for me, but, with the student discount, its still a few hundy between the 2.

For the most part, I will be using the notebook at school. Writing papers, Internet, Itunes movies,etc.

I will use the abobe cs4 for photoshop, etc and I plan on developing web sites using it. I may need to do some video editing in premiere, but I do have an Imac so I cant really see myself editing video away from home too often.

My concern is not getting the bang for my buck. Like instead of going ahead and dropping 18-1900 on the 15 inch with the i5, I spend 1400 on the 13 inch and then I feel like I should have spent the extra money.

At the same time, I dont want to drop 1900 and realize all I needed was the 13 inch and wasted 500 bucks or something.

maybe someone could shed some light and help me make a decision.

thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
The Core i5 supports multi threading in the cores (call it virtual cores) and the processing speed for instance of a 2.4GHz Core i5 is compared to a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, and on it goes.
There are also better graphics chips in the i5.
As for what you need, either will do the job, but you will get a little more bang for your buck with the i5.
MacBook Pro Benchmarks (April 2010)
Apple's 15-inch Core i5 MacBook Pro: The One to Get? - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.