Upgrade to new mini or imac

Reaction score
I currently have a 13" 2.2GHZ macbook with X3100 graphics(white polycarbonate version prior to unibodies) which was bought around 3 years ago. I use it with a 24" monitor and external keyboard and it very seldom leaves my desk. Predominately used for web etc, aperture and a little imovie & iwork.

I am thinking of upgrading to the new mac mini (and upgrade ram later) to use with my existing monitor and keyboard or get a refurbished 3.06GHZ 27" imac.

Will I notice much difference between both as the cost is approx 350-500 euro less for the mini?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Buying the new mini would make better use of the nice 24" display, keyboard, and mouse you already own...and the new Mac-mini looks like a very capable computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I agree with PIGOO3. The Mini is a better use of the LCD and Keyboard you already have. The Mini will do all that you listed with ease. Mine works great. The Mini is a great computer.

OP
R
Reaction score
This is what I have been thinking as I could sell the monitor but get very little for it. I will be importing RAW files into Aperture and editing them. Do you do that with the mini and is there any lag?
What did you use before the mini and is there much improvement?
The main thing holding me back is will I regret not having the extra power and super 27" screen of the imac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The main thing holding me back is will I regret not having the extra power and super 27" screen of the imac.

Unless you can afford to purchase the most powerful computer Apple sells...you will always wonder if the next more powerful computer would have been better.

The rule when buying a computer is...buy as much as you can afford.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I suppose to be more correct is will I see much of an improvement over my curreent macbook which i find a little slow at times. The main differences are a slightly quicker processer and better graphics card. Am i missing anything ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Running Aperture will be faster, but Internet and E-mail will be about the same. I don't notice any difference in speed between the three (Macs I own) doing that. To be honest I don't notice that much difference in speed between the iMac and Mini when using Aperture. The larger LCD is great. That is the main attraction to the iMac for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose to be more correct is will I see much of an improvement over my curreent macbook which i find a little slow at times. The main differences are a slightly quicker processer and better graphics card. Am i missing anything ?

Yeah...I was going to mention this. Going from a 2.2ghz core 2 duo to a 2.4ghz Mac-mini isn't going to be like "night/day". The graphics on the Mac-mini should be better when doing graphics intensive activities.

If you're looking for a substantial performance increase over your current laptop (cpu and gpu)...then maybe the iMac would be a better choice.

But since you said these are your main activities:

"Predominately used for web etc, aperture and a little imovie & iwork."

It would really depend on how much you do the more cpu/gpu intensive tasks. If you're mostly doing web & e-mail (like "jetmech1" said)...you're not going to see a tremendous increase.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Your current laptop is a very good computer. Yeah the graphics could be better...but is spending around $1500 for an iMac worth it. Hmmm.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.