MAC G5 Fan Problem - PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
I woke up early morning to a loud noise like a vacuum cleaner and stumbled over to see where it was coming from and my Mac G5 running 10.5.8 was making it. I've never heard it make that noise before it was SOOO loud. The computer had been running a screensaver and playing a radio program from a website I was streaming to my radio using an FM transmitter. I've done that for years with no problems.

Anyway, I shut it down, and restarted and it was fine. I didn't see the fans spinning though. I installed iSTAT and it's showing the CPU A exhaust at 847 rpm and the CPU A intake at 789 rpm. I don't see the fans spinning on the back of it though I usually see when I look into the computer through the holes in the front. When I check the back of the computer they aren't spinning either. What's strange in that it also gives reading for CPU B and I only have one processor I think.

The CPU A die temp goes from about 116 to 130. The rest are:

Drive Bay 86.9
Logic Board Inlet 83.8
Logic Board ambient 95.5
Logic board Backside 112.3
memory controller heatsink 140.3
processor card 115.2
SMART Disk reads sometimes nothing and sometimes 111 I think--what is that anyway?

Would anyone PLEASE know what's going on with my computer? How can I have fan readings with nothing spinning. They both are down. Could it be the logic board as they both went out at once?

Would REALLY appreciate any help! A bit frantic here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hardware test - el pronto! Use the Leopard install disk to boot, and then run First Aid from Disk Utility. Verify the hard disk, and repair (if necessary).

If you don't have the Leopard disk, try Disk Utility from the HD, but you won't be able to make repairs.

If neither of the above reports or repairs whatever might be wrong, you have the option of Disk Warrior, but it's expensive @ ~US$100.

Use System Profiler to get more accurate information about your G5. You may in fact have a dual processor G5, most of them were d-p models. Failing that, download Mactracker http://mactracker.ca/ which will tell you (almost) everything you need to know about your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.