what specifications does my computer need for graphic design?

G

goca

Im thinkig of buying a computer for my graphic design degree!

I was just wondering what is the most important thing my computer needs to run the graphic design and 3d modeling programs on it,

does it need a good procesor? memory? graphics card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
memory and HD space. G4 would adequate, 512MB RAM or more, at least 80GB HDD. If you have the $$$, G5 would make your tasks much faster (i.e., photoshop filters, rendering times) ;) What apps are you running?

OP
G

goca

Well Im running Most Adobe, Macromedia, and 3d rendering programs and stuff like that like that,

I can also get a really cheap deal on a really good pc £700 just a bit more than the mac mini, and it has a 3.2 GHz procesor, 1000 Gig memory, and a 160 Gig hard drive! and all i can afford is the mac mini, or this pc, which one do u sugest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Coming from a mac forum I'd suggest macs but out of those two, that pc will give you more for your money than a mac mini as far as what you are needing. In the 3d world PCs still rule (It's a shame Discreet won't work with OSX) but the graphics world still swears by mac. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Check out this thread Posted earlier by yourself :) just scrambling for answers mid-day.. gota give it time buddy. (a few hours the forum will have more people)

OP
W

WeonSnonge

Go with the PC (ducks barrage of rotten fruit)

You will get more bang for your buck. While you are still learning/studying then the PC will see you through and equip you with the skills you need.

OP
L

LoXmyth

You should be able to get a good emac for that surely, look around on the net.

EDIT: OOPS! I didn't know the thread was a bit old, sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
I don't mean to be a smartass, but logically, if you have a graphics design degree, you'd kind of be familiar with the needs you have for your creations. Again, that's not meant in a negative way, I'm just saying that you're the best judge to decide what you neeed. I'm sure many PCs would be OK for your work. Personally, though, I think working on a Mac is far less painful, the OS environment is more pleasurable--I love the Aqua GUI--the explorer shell on Windows looks tired and worn-out to me. Also, there are less problems with the OS crashing on you while you're working on something very important--I've had my iBook for a couple of weeks now and I never shut it down and it hasn't crashed once. I'm sure some problems WILL arise, but that's to be expected in the computer world.

I'm guessing that you'd be ok with the iMac, perhaps somewhere in the upper-middle configuration. Again, it all depends on what you're doing, from project to project.

Fiddle around with some machines, if you have access to an Apple store. See how they behave. I think one can tell the difference between a sluggish and a fast machine just by opening some simple apps.

does it need a good procesor? memory? graphics card?
Of course! How much of all that do you need? I'd say as much as you can afford. Another factor is, How important is your work to you? If you plan on designing things for a living, you'll want some rather decent equipment. Right?

OP
S

sursuciofla

vr04 said:
I don't mean to be a smartass, but logically, if you have a graphics design degree, you'd kind of be familiar with the needs you have for your creations. Again, that's not meant in a negative way, I'm just saying that you're the best judge to decide what you neeed.

Well he said he is going to be working on getting a graphics design degree. So if he was a graduate you would have a point BUT.....Being a GD student myself I had my brother ahead of me so I knew most of what I needed but had I not I would be just as clueless. Just a thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.