locked in 10.4 but not in 10.5

Reaction score
I have 2 Macs side by side. I log in as Admin on both of them. One is running 10.4 and the other 10.5. I have an external drive I switch between the two. I have no issues when it is plugged in to the 10.5.

With the 10.4, the My Documents, My Pictures, and My Videos folders are locked. Going to Get Info shows that I "can read and write" but clicking on the check does not unlock it. Can anyone please tell me how to unlock it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With the 10.4, the My Documents, My Pictures, and My Videos folders are locked. Going to Get Info shows that I "can read and write" but clicking on the check does not unlock it. Can anyone please tell me how to unlock it?

Mac OS 10.5 has features that Mac OS 10.4 does not have. I'm willing to bet that the items that are "locked" were created with OS 10.5.

So when you plug your external drive into your Mac running OS 10.4...the OS 10.5 created items cannot or won't "work" in an OS 10.4 environment (because they are not features of 10.4).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
folders common to all

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Aren't the folders (My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos) common to both 10.4 and 10.5, though?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Aren't the folders (My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos) common to both 10.4 and 10.5, though?

Yes both OS 10.4 & 10.5 have those folders.

You didn't tell us the specs on each of the computers you're using. But if you installed an OS 10.5 or a Time Machine backup on that external drive...and plug it into your computer running 10.4.

If that computer running 10.4 is too old...it may not be capable of running 10.5 related items.

I'm not saying 100% this is the problem...I'm just sending some ideas your way to see if we can make sense of things.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Swapping a drive back and forth like that seems rather tedious and unnecessary. Why don't you just leave it connected to one Mac, and share the drive over your network using Bonjour?

OP
L
Reaction score
Bonjour?

Thanks Nick and lifeisabeach.

I'm a very basic user. I don't even know what Bonjour is. (I'll look into that.)

I didn't really install anything on the external drive (no Time Machine, no OS). The 10.4 came with the older Mac and the 10.5 came with this newer one. I've only done the regular software updates, no major OS changes.

I appreciate all the help I can get as, like I said, I'm a very basic user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well to set up Bonjour, what you do is go to:
System Preferences > Sharing
Put a check in File Sharing. Then, under Shared Folders, add the external drive. Under Users, make sure your user is listed there.
And finally, under Options, check the option to share files using AFP. Once done, close it out, and check the other computer. You should now see that external drive showing in that computer's Finder sidebar under Shared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.