ipod connector compatibility?

Reaction score
My old 3rd gen ipod classic (not video) finally died and I got a new 5th gen nano to replace it. My old connectors seem to fit, but don't seem to work properly. For example, when I plug in my wall charger, the nano displays: "charging is not supported with this device." Are they not compatible? Will I need to get a new wall charger and auto charger/fm-tuner?

thx,
feffer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the same charger as you and my new Nano works fine in it. You could have a defective charger - internal problem or bent connectors. The good news is that AC to USB wall chargers are everywhere and not expensive.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have the same charger as you and my new Nano works fine in it. You could have a defective charger - internal problem or bent connectors.
OK, that's strange. When buying the Nano at the Apple store (close to my house), I asked about the connectors, and was told that though older ones fit, the pin setup is different, and it might not work. I'm sure my connector is not damaged as it worked fine 3 days earlier on my old iPod Classic. Also the auto charger/fm unit (also working with the Classic) gives me the same "not supported" message on the Nano. So perhaps there is some confusion. My old iPod is not a Nano, it is a full-sized 20 GB iPod Classic (with a hard drive etc). Having tested it, I'm pretty sure these connectors are NOT compatible. And yes, new connectors aren't that expensive...at least the wall chargers. The auto charger/fm unit is a bit more though.

thx,
feffer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what to tell you. My charger and connector from my very old classic (4 GB model) works just fine to charge my new Nano. I use that charger at home and have since bought an AC to USB unit for use away from home. We might have different chargers.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.