got windows 7 ultimate working, but after few days working, now black screen

Reaction score
hey,

after a lot of trouble I got windows 7 ultimate working on my iMac 27" 3.06 ghz jan. 2010 (bootcamp 3.1) with ATI videocard. I used the usb stick trick (with master boot) during installation, and I got it working. So I moved on, installed some small programs. 2 days later I wanted to use my windows 'side' again, however when I start it, i only get a black screen. And even after a reset i don't even get a question to startup in safemode or something. Just a black screen. Not an intro picture (as I got at the black screens during the installation).

i tried removing atikmdag.sys but didn't work (thought it was a driver issue again, and hoped to solve it this way).

I really thought i had it working. i installed all the updates, all drivers, everything worked, but now I only get a stupid black screen. It is really frustrating.

Hope anyone could help me.

Greetz,

Barbet

PS the installation was via a burned cd from a friend, i installed it for my work with a company license. However the cd can be a downloaded version (which I am 100% sure is a good version).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand what it is you did to install Win 7? Why did you have to use a USB stick? You go on to say that you have a CD and used your company license - wasn't the CD or DVD bootable?

It sounds like the Win 7 boot sector has been damaged. The way to repair it is by using a Windows 7 install DVD and booting your iMac with it. Hold down the "Option" key after you hear the chime and select the Windows 7 DVD as the boot device. When the Windows 7 disk comes up, select repair. See the following Microsoft Article.

Before doing anything make certain you have a backup of your Snow Leopard installation. Time Machine, SuperDuper, or Carbon Copy Cloner can be used to make the backup.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting the Link. I had forgotten about the driver problem and the black screen. We'll see if the OP was able to repair his Win 7 installation using the MS repair method.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.