How to get rid of speech icon?

Reaction score
I am new to the mac and love it. But I clicked on the speech icon in the system preferences and a circular icon now is on my desktop. When I mouse over it is says "speech feedback". I can double click the circle icon and it will go to my task-bar, but I want to know how to get rid of it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forum. Too bad your first post is a need for help. At least this is easily fixed. Go back to System Preferences and click the Speech icon again. When the next screen opens look in the upper portion of that screen for "Speakable Items". Change the setting from "On" to "Off". Once you do that it's safe to close the System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
and, welcome aboard.

OP
D
Reaction score
its already off

the speakable items button is set to off, but the circle icon will not go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Try turning it on and then off again, Also have you done a restart since?

C

chas_m

I suspect you have the Chess application open in the background. A restart will clear that up.

OP
D
Reaction score
An interesting twist

ok so I restarted my mac and the circle icon was gone. But then I started up my Parallels program which I use in place of Boot Camp and then the circle icon popped up again on my desktop. So it is running within Parallels for some reason. So now what do you think is going on?

C

chas_m

You'll want to look in Parallels' preferences and setup dialogs to find the speech control and turn it off.

If you can't, I'd suggest an email to them. I've always found the company very helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.