Photo Folders & Aperture

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to Aperture. I had all my photos in neatly organized folders (labeled and with dates). I imported them into Aperture and now any time I want to view an image, the only way I can do so is to open the application. I have everything backed up but I was just wondering if there is a way to export those folders back into my photo folder as aliases or something so I can view/edit them without having to use Aperture?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
In Aperture, the best thing you can probably do is when you import your files, choose Store Files: In their current location rather than In the Aperture library.

content

Aperture.png

OP
F
Reaction score
In Aperture, the best thing you can probably do is when you import your files, choose Store Files: In their current location rather than In the Aperture library.

content

Aperture.png

OK, restoring folders with Time Machine, then deleting aperture library and will re-import using those settings. I had a feeling that was the answer. Thanks.

OP
F
Reaction score
iPhoto and Aperture

Schweb, thanks for the info.

OK, I restored my folders with Time Machine. Another query for you...

Is there any reason of benefit to have both iPhoto and Aperture libraries? If so, when I add photos to my library (which I keep extraordinarily organized in my pictures folder), will iPhoto and Aperture update the added files I add to those folders in my pictures folder?

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

Scott

OP
F
Reaction score
Ps

Haven't imported into Aperture yet... I did with iPhoto (don't know why I did).

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Folders, Importing Aperture

I have many folders in my Pictures Folder (all organized into date, events and such).

I am new to Aperture and would like to know the following:

How should I import the folders into Aperture (I already know I want to keep the photos where they are and am aware of how to do so). However, I noticed that there are several options: files, folders as project or library project. Which do I use?

Secondly, if I import these photos/folders, and say I add more photos to a particular folder I have stored in my pictures folder, will Aperture automatically import the new ones or do I have to do that manually?

Finally, I do have Photoshop CS5, is there a way to edit my photos inside aperture or do I have to do that outside of Aperture?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Merged your threads, please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. It wont get an answer any faster and often will just cause it to be delayed or confusing.

I haven't used iPhoto in a long time so I can't answer that for sure, but as far as I remember, iPhoto always imports your photos into its own library.

Aperture will allow you to import the photos but still keep them in their original location. When you add new photos, you'll need to reimport that folder into Aperture again, but if you check the box that says "don't import duplicates", it will skip all the stuff it's already imported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.