Mail accounts question????

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum, need some advice

I have few mail accounts and I would like to keep them separate can anyone suggest me what software to use for my second mail account? I use regular Mail applications for my primary one.

Thank you
Judoguy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you didn't realize that the Mail app that comes with your computer and pretty much all software based email software will handle several email accounts.

You manage them all in the same program but each email account gets a separate folder. In order for this to be possible it depends on what type of email accounts you have and from who. Some email servers, like Yahoo, don't allow outside access to your emails unless you pay.

Most email servers have help files that will walk you through the steps on how to setup your emails for Apple's Mail and other email software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Right. Just set up as many of your email accounts as you want in the Mail app on your Mac. They will show up under "Inbox" with whatever label/name you give them.
For instance, I have one for Hotmail and one for Gmail. Whichever one I click on, it shows me the Inbox for that account. Even works if you have more than one Gmail (or whatever provider) account. Just name them something different so you know which is which.

Reaction score
I actually have a question about the Mail app. I want to add my mail accounts without downloading all the mail in each of those accounts (tens of thousands of emails). Is there a way to do this? In other words, I dont want it to download all previous messages, just start loading them as they come in after I add the accounts.

Thanks! Im new as well. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will have to use POP instead of IMAP. I also use POP for my own reasons. With POP it will only download new mail and won't sync your old emails to the Mail app like IMAP does. Basically nothing you do is synced so for example deleting emails in Mail doesn't delete them on the server.

Mail 4.0 defaults to IMAP and hides the option of choosing POP. In order to use POP when you setup a new account and you get to the area where it tells you to setup IMAP, you have to hold down either Command, Option, or Control key and it will give you the option to choose POP instead. It's been awhile since I've set mine up so I forgot which key it is.

If you are using an older version of Mail then you can manually choose either POP or IMAP. Apparently Apple wants us all to use IMAP instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
IMAP is a much better format if you plan on accessing your mail from several locations or devices since it will keep everything in sync. That's probably why they set IMAP to the default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do realize the benefits of IMAP. I just find it interesting that Apple choose to hide the POP option. Sometimes they cut out or hide too many options in order to make things easier on the users. I still prefer a choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well technically, you DO have a choice since Mail DOES allow you to choose POP. You also have the choice of using an email client other than Mail, such as Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I was speaking generally about Apple at the end of my statement and not about Mail. I was talking about how some other Apple products don't allow choice. Anyway I do have Thunderbird installed but there are certain things I like about Mail better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.