DVD player to iMac

Reaction score
I own a 27" iMac, and yes, it does have a built in DVD player that works perfectly. However, I also own a special DVD player that can edit content in films so my wife can watch movies with me (she's kind of squeamish...).

I don't own a TV and bought my iMac for graphic design and video work, as well as to use it as a TV screen.

I want to be able to plug my DVD player in so that I can watch those edited films with my wife on my beautiful 27" iMac screen. I'm not planning on doing any video transferring or anything, I just want to be able to play and watch.

Where can I get a good cord that adapts a coaxial cable (red, yellow, white) to be able to connect to my iMac?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
RCA plugs - right? And are they the only outlet cables from your external dvd player?

How about this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BWU8US/?tag=macforums0e4-20 also here Rca To Usb Adapter.

USB transfer speed may leave you rather underwhelmed, but I can't find an RCA-Firewire adaptor.

How are the films "edited", ie. as you watch, eg. masking, fogging, or are you editing the films and then saving them for viewing later? If the latter, why not burn the edited movies to a dvd to watch on your iMac?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply!

The films are edited within the DVD player itself as you watch (it's a Clearplay). The player plugs into a regular TV just like a normal DVD player. I just want to be able to plug it in to my iMac (which will just be doubling as a TV). I don't own an TV, nor do I have the money or room in my apartment for one. I just want to be able to use my iMac like a TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The 27" iMac has video input, but it works only with MiniDisplay devices, which I suspect eliminates your video machine.

The RCA-USB adaptor should fit the bill, and it's an inexpensive option @ US$12. The specs for the Easycap make no mention of MacOS, but as it's such an accommodating platform, you may find that it's simply a matter of plug-and-play. Just be prepared for some lag when viewing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.