FTP Clients - 1and1 - OSX 10.6.3 - FIGHT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
I'm at the end of a very very long tether here and would genuinely appreciate some help.

Last week I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Gradually all the apps I have used are getting re-installed as I come to need them again and tonight it was Filezilla's turn.

Installed it and realised my Site manager had obviously been wiped (D'oh!) so re-entered my FTP details for 1and1 (UK). Error connecting. Retried. Error 503. Hmmm.

Tried again. Downloaded an old version of Filezilla. Error connecting. Tried Fetch, Cyberduck and just plain old Safari but no luck. All details are correct, the only way I can connect to my 1and1 hosting space is by logging in and using it's browser ftp which is a little tedious and slow.

It all ran tickety boo on Tiger 10.4.11 and literally the only change is that I now run 10.6.3.

I have been on the net for the last 90 minutes trying to eek out any hint as to what to try. I have tried scraps of information which linked loosely to my problem with no luck.

So I ask you lovely people, what could it be?

I really appreciate any help you might be able to give.

Mel

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Well now...

Thanks to old YouTube (quickly becoming the video version of Google search) I found a video where a chap describes setting up Filezilla with 1and1

In it he briefly mentions that you can set the password for your domain user name like he did but you don't have to.

So I went in and set a specific password for my domain user name and it now works in Filezilla! I didn't have to have a specific user password set for my user name before on 1and1 for it to work with filezilla, I just connected with my 1and1 account password and it always worked before.

For anyone who might need this info. If Filezilla won't connect with your 1and1 account, do this:

1) log into your 1and1 account
2) Go to FTP access
3) Click on your user name (the u******** number)
4) Type in a new password (not your account password)
5) Click save and wait 30 minutes for it to update
6) Connect using filezilla and the new password you just created
7) Should work a charm

Hope this helps someone!

Mel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.