Where do I find the Rosetta download for Intel Macs?

Reaction score
OK - I give up

I have a MacBook Pro with 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 10.5.8 OS and I want to install Freehand MX 11.0.2 so I guess I need to have the Rosetta emulation software to do that. Can someone post a link to the download on Apple's website? I can't seem to find it. Is it a free download?

Thanks for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rosetta is already included with and installed in Leopard unless you removed it. Have you tried to install Freehand?

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I did try installing Freehand but the computer just ejects the disc after 5 or 10 seconds without mounting it. I have tried other install discs just to make sure it isn't rejecting all install discs. The Freehand disc mounts when I put it into my G5. So when I started researching it a bit it seemed like I needed to download and install Rosetta. I have done a search of my hard drive and Rosetta is not there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I guess it somehow was deleted or is missing. I just did a search on my machine and it came up immediately. Rosetta was included with Leopard not Snow Leopard. Let's see if we can find the download at Apple....

Looks like it's not available as a separate download. What I suggest is that you download and install the combined update for Leopard 10.5.8. That should install Rosetta for you. Download LINK.

Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OK, I guess it somehow was deleted or is missing. I just did a search on my machine and it came up immediately. Rosetta was included with Leopard not Snow Leopard. Let's see if we can find the download at Apple....

Looks like it's not available as a separate download. What I suggest is that you download and install the combined update for Leopard 10.5.8. That should install Rosetta for you. Download LINK.

Let us know.

Regards.

It is part of an optional install with snow leopard. In saying that, I installed it on my Mac, but can't locate it the finder or with spotlight search. So, I am guessing that it is in a hidden usr folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I'm fairly certain that if you try running a PPC binary on Snow Leopard, and you don't have rosetta, a dialog box comes up asking you if you want to install it. At least thats what used to happen, unless they changed something recently...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The OP states he is running 10.5.8 which is Leopard. On an Intel Mac Rosetta should be there by default. It's 10.6 Snow Leopard that Rosetta is optional.

I do agree with Ellehass though regarding 10.6. It asked me the same thing when I first installed 10.6 on my Intel C2D Mac and tried to run a Power PC App.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
The OP states he is running 10.5.8 which is Leopard. On an Intel Mac Rosetta should be there by default. It's 10.6 Snow Leopard that Rosetta is optional.

I do agree with Ellehass though regarding 10.6. It asked me the same thing when I first installed 10.6 on my Intel C2D Mac and tried to run a Power PC App.

Whoops, I missed the fact that the OP was running 10.5.8, I assumed that if there was no rosetta it was a Snow Leopard install. Odd that rosetta wouldn't be there on a Leopard install. I didn't know that you could remove rosetta on 10.5

OP, is it possible that the disc is damaged? Even if you did not have rosetta, that should not cause your computer to simply spit out the disc. Something seems strange about that fact...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP, is it possible that the disc is damaged? Even if you did not have rosetta, that should not cause your computer to simply spit out the disc. Something seems strange about that fact...

That is a very good point. I was going to mention that but got sidetracked by a phone call. I can put in a Windows CD/DVD. The media should still mount even if it will not install or run.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a very good point. I was going to mention that but got sidetracked by a phone call. I can put in a Windows CD/DVD. The media should still mount even if it will not install or run.

That was going to be my next suggestion to him - that he check the media. If the media is good and rosetta is truly missing from his Leopard the combined update should get it back I would think. But I suspect you're right about the media.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
The disc loads fine in my G5 so it's not a problem with the disc. I bought this laptop refurbished from Apple - maybe it didn't have Rosetta installed because of that. I'll download the combo update and see if that works.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Misty

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know - and sorry about getting your gender wrong. I should have paid closer attention to your handle. O:)

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do remember that all optical drives are different. The CD/DVD can have issues and one drive can read it but not the other. Seen that more times than I can count. Let us know.

I for sure have put a CD/DVD in my Intel Mac that was power pc before I had Rosetta installed in 10.6 and the drive read and mounted the CD just fine.

Keep us posted.

OP
R
Reaction score
I guess my Intel Mac just didn't like the Freehand MX CD/DVD. I copied the entire contents of the install disc to a thumb drive and installed from that - worked perfectly. Program runs just fine.

Thanks for all the input!

Misty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.