Are You Running iOS 4 on a 3G iPhone?

Reaction score
What is your experience thus far?

It is DEAD slow on mine.

Like... "5 second wait to use the calendar" dead slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i did, before i got the 3G 3 weeks ago.. ran it since Beta1 all the way to the official release and never had an issue with lag and/or slowness. some say re-update and don't restore but set it up as a new device..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mines not slow although it does lag at times. I find I works better if I reset it at least once every other day. Frankly I'm not surprised you're having issues though. The 3G IS the minimum requirement to run iOS 4...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I run iOS4 on the 3G. The update took forever, and after the update the phone was an absolute crawl..I had to power-cycle it to get back to normal, and since the power-cycle the phone is back to it's original speed with the new functionality..

I can't say that it is noticeably slower than iOS 3..but you can tell that the iOS4 is really designed for 3GS and iPhone 4..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93ghz
Hey there.

I am running iOS4 on a UK 3GS (32GB). So far I have noticed a small slow down but not too much, and to be fair I can live with that. However there are many more problems that have turned my phone into a far more useful paper weight.

Even more random crashes when the wireless network is switched on. I have had nothing but crashes since the moment I purchased the phone 12 months ago with this. Applications would just stop and send me back to the home screen, together with screen crashes like you would get on a C64 with all colours across the screen, the phone would then reboot. Always, always when using or have wireless switched on.

Since iOS4 that is happening far more, but now my phone just goes dead. No screen, will not respond to buttons and takes about 20-30 seconds to get it to reboot with the home and power button. Once it comes back there is no power in the phone, even if it was at full charge before the crash. I always get really other random things like half a screen, and then it pops back to lock screen and won't open for a few seconds.

No idea if I can get it looked at, also a problem that I no longer live in the UK.

Anybody else having similar problems?

Anderoo

Reaction score
my 3g is running slow since the ios4, also battery life is not what it used to be, it drains a lot faster now.

When I upgraded to iOS4 i set it up as a new device. I thought these things just worked....guess not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I noticed on my back up 3G that it seems to lag a lot more, That's stock 4.0 not Jailbroken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I ran iOS4 on my 3G for a few weeks before I got my iPhone 4. It was just as slow, if not a bit slower, than 3.0. It was maddeningly frustrating to use. I'm so glad I finally upgraded.

Reaction score
I am running IOS4 on my 3G and it ridiculously slow. I restored it rather than set it up new. If I restore it as new device I can add apps again no problem and get my calendar, contact and email no problem as i run in exchange but will I loose my text messages and what else will I loose. Will apps work ok even though it ill look like a new device. Should I call it the same name?

Reaction score
I upgraded to iOS4 on my 3g (16GB) iPhone the day it was released. Over time, I noticed that the phone was becoming slower and slower, until one day last week, it took over 5 minutes to open an email with no images.

This afternoon, I finally decided that I would restore the phone, set up as a "New Phone" and turned off the majority of the Spotlight options as suggested in some other forums. So far so good. My applications are running at a reasonable speed, and Safari which was the worst offender, is much better.

I run iTunes on a Mac and make use of the Address Book and iCal which takes care of the majority of the setup. Really the only thing I lost was the SMS' but there was nothing pressing that I needed to retain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Yes, my 3G is hopelessly slow since I upgraded to iOS4.

I really wish I hadn't upgraded. :(

Reaction score
I am running IOS4 on my 3G and it ridiculously slow. I restored it rather than set it up new. If I restore it as new device I can add apps again no problem and get my calendar, contact and email no problem as i run in exchange but will I loose my text messages and what else will I loose. Will apps work ok even though it ill look like a new device. Should I call it the same name?

Restoring from backup installs the dodgy upgrade again.

As for restoring it as a new device, the apps will install again. You should be able to sync your email as well. Calendar and contacts will be another issue. Depends on the email provider / app you are using and how you have the sync set up within iTunes. I know if you are using gMail and utilise it's contact feature, you should retain them. Can't be use about the calendar as I don't use it.

You will lose any personal settings like ringtones, folders, backgrounds etc but they are easy enough to set up again.

Reaction score
hi just bought a 3g off my mate put what i think is ios4....its4.2.1 the new one and everything is instant....battery is awful....

Reaction score
my 3g is still slow since 4.2.1. i was really hoping that 4.2.1 would have at least fixed some of the slowness that 4.0 caused. that was one of the points of 4.2.1 for the 3g. oh well, guess i will stick it out until my contract is up and switch to a different smart phone.

im tired of hearing that the 3g is the MINIMUM requirement to run 4.2.1 .
Apple knew that, and they should NOT have made that upgrade available for the 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I upgraded my non-functioning iPhone 3G to the latest version (4.2.1 I think) on Sunday........

........and it works again!

Previously it was fine with 3.2.1, dead slow with 4.0, failed to finish upgrading with 4.0.1 and upgraded (eventually) to 4.1, but with no data connection on 3G. It was working on WiFi and the phone worked on 3G, but no data connection on 3G.

I had tried upgrading it and restoring it several times, all apparently successful, but still no data connection.

So on Sunday I thought "Why not? It is useless now anyway".

It upgraded without any problems. I had to wait until Monday to test it as I have no mobile signal at Home. On Monday, I switched it on and loaded the App Store - perfect.

Success at last.

Of course, I still haven't risked my iPad with 4.2 yet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Yes!!! My 3g is painfully slow to the point that it sometimes feels like it is completely locked up. Thankfully my new iPhone 4 is sitting under the tree waiting for me. Next Saturday can't come soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.9Ghz i5 8GB RAM/Iphone 5/Ipad 1
Iphone 3G w/ iOS4

Yes!!! My 3g is painfully slow to the point that it sometimes feels like it is completely locked up. Thankfully my new iPhone 4 is sitting under the tree waiting for me. Next Saturday can't come soon enough.

Has anyone noticed reception issues since upgrading? I just upgraded the other day and I don't seem to have a slowness issue (4/2 allegedly "fixed" these issues), but my reception suuuuucks. I'm in Canada on Rogers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.