21.5" vs 27" iMac

Reaction score
Hey Mac-Forums,

I'm brand new to this forum and I would first like to say, hello! You all seem like a great group of people that I would like to get to know a little better :D

Now to me question:
I'm looking in the market for a mac (I'm tired of Windows being crap!) and the iMac just looks like a very appeasing computer for me. I will be going to college next year (I'll be getting a macbook pro then) so I decided that I would like to learn the mac OS with an iMac. I do have a budget of about $1500 which kind of puts a damper on some things but money is money. I'm either interested in the upgraded model of the 21.5" imac (1300 refurb) or the base line 27" imac (1449 refurb). I've read rather good reviews on these machines and I was wondering your intake. I would like to do a little gaming (Valve mostly) and the basics otherwise. I didn't know if the ati graphics card could support the 27" display fully? I apologize if I'm all jumbled! Also, being that 27" is rather large, would the 21.5" be a better solution?

Overall, I was just hoping someone would put out their insight on either of these fine pieces of work and possibly steer me in the right direction.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First, welcome to the forum..we rock..now onto to your question..:)

At your budget you're essentially considering the Core2Duo CPU's and the big difference is going to be the screen size. Getting the upgraded 3.33 Ghz C2D as opposed to the 3.06 Ghz will give you a slight boost..

Unless I'm mistaken, the 21.5" and 27" C2D machines share the same GPU..the quad-cores get a different (upgraded) GPU..

So if you're going to be content with the 21.5" screen size, that would seem like the best option for you..

Regards

OP
Reaction score
Thanks Raz0rEdge!
Do you know if the Radeon 4760 (i believe thats what it is) can handel the massive screen cleanly? Or will I see a large amount of lag compared to the 21.5"

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I can't speak specifically to the abilities of the lower Radeon chip..I've got the i7 27" iMac with the upgraded chip and the screen is brilliant..but I don't play games on my iMac..I have my XBOX360 for that..:)

Perhaps some gamers could comment on the performance..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
The only situations where you'd see a difference between the mobility 4670 and mobility 4850 is for gaming and real intensive live editing/filtering for movies/vids.

OP
Reaction score
Thank you trademark. But for games like sims 3 and the valve games (TF2, Portal, ect) and wow should just run fine on the 27" with the 4760?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Perhaps you should just spend the money now on a really nice MBP since your getting one in a year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't speak for the valve games, as I have no experience or readily available benchmarks for them, but you can use notebook check to see other benchmarks for those two cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I've got the base model 27" iMac (refurb) and it is awesome. No display issues at all. I would go with the 27" over the 21.5". The extra screen real-estate is great. Mine runs my windows games under bootcamp with out any problems. Don't have many Mac games.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks jetmech1 and everyone else?
What games are you running jetmech1 via bootcamp/other software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the 27, and it's just right. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks jetmech1 and everyone else?
What games are you running jetmech1 via bootcamp/other software?

Tomb Raider Under World and X-Planes. I'm not a serious gamer, I just play around a little bit. The graphics look amazing from Tomb Raider. They look as good or better than my Dell XPS with a iNvidia 8800GTS 512 MB video card.

OP
Reaction score
Thank you so much to everyone who has put a comment in. I'm still in the "iffy" stage of 21.5 and 27, but i now know that the graphics card will still keep up with the 27" display. Anyone try the wall mount?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggest going to the Apple Store or Best Buy and play with each to see which one works best for you.

OP
Reaction score
Thank you! I just got my wisdom teeth removed so once all the pain and blood and yuck goes away, I think I'll be making my way to the apple store:) Do you recommend getting a refurbished one? They are much cheaper!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac is refurbished. Runs perfect. I have purchased several refurbished Dells in the past without any issues. That is the route I would go. They have the same warranty.

Reaction score
dont get refurbished. trust me you get 200 dollars off, but really you just not going get a free ipod touch or printer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.