Where do you GUI modders get your icons from and:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
And which app or apps do you guys use to change stuff like themes, docks, dock indicators etc.. ? I've been bitten by the 'fidget bug' and would like to change the look of my desktop, folder icons, dock icons and all that jazz. For the moment I only have Dock Library, which works fine to change just the dock, but it seems really picky about what it wants to install, for some reason. I downloaded a bunch of nice docks which are .png files, but it wouldn't import them, while it did so for other .png files. Not sure why.

But Dock Library doesn't let me change the indicators (not that I've seen) and those usually add a nice bit of flair to the dock. I've also tried DockSwitcher, (just now) but it did absolutely nothing at all ! Didn't work for beans, so I ditched it.

So, what app or apps are you guys using to pimp your GUI ? If it's a resource hog, I'm not really interested and would rather just have a plain ol' looking desktop and such.

Thanks !

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks guys. Does Candybar 3 also allow one to change, create and customize the dock ? I'm more interested in that opposed to just icons, which are easier to deal with. I downloaded it, and to be honest, the interface (IMO) isn't very self explanatory. I see a ton of icons on the top panel, which I don't seem to be able to highlight or do anything with. Maybe I was just tired the first time I looked, and will have to try again.

I was just hoping to find an app very similar to Dock Library which simply imports .png's and allows you to change the dividers and indicators as well as the main dock image. Candybar seems to be a bit more complicated than that.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I haven't used it in awhile, but I'm about 99% positive it changes the Dock and collects styles also.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was just hoping to find an app very similar to Dock Library which simply imports .png's and allows you to change the dividers and indicators as well as the main dock image. Candybar seems to be a bit more complicated than that.

Take a look at SuperDocker.

Regards.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'll have a look at Super Docker. I've been using Candybar for a bit, and find it to be entirely inconsistent. When I apply changes to icons, it seems to leave specific ones totally untouched all together. I believe they are the ones which I've already altered manually with the ol' copy and paste in Inspector trick.

So I'm not finding it to be anything but a bit of a hassle. Has anyone come across this issue before ? Are there any really good tutorials for Candybar 3 out there ? I've been looking but have only found some very basic ones, or ones that were long, but didn't really go in to detail about how things are actually done with it.

Doug

Edit: Looking at the description, SuperDocker looks like it does pretty much the same things that Onyx does, sans changing the dock color, which I don't care about. I just want to change the entire dock including the indicators etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
You might also enjoy GeekTool - not for icons, it's lets you customize your desktop
Tynsoe projects

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks, I'll have a look at Super Docker. I've been using Candybar for a bit, and find it to be entirely inconsistent. When I apply changes to icons, it seems to leave specific ones totally untouched all together. I believe they are the ones which I've already altered manually with the ol' copy and paste in Inspector trick.

So I'm not finding it to be anything but a bit of a hassle. Has anyone come across this issue before ? Are there any really good tutorials for Candybar 3 out there ? I've been looking but have only found some very basic ones, or ones that were long, but didn't really go in to detail about how things are actually done with it.

Yes... if you have custom icons applied, that likely is the reason CandyBar won't change them. And yes.. CB does change the Docks in the same manner SuperDocker does.

I've never seen or even heard of a tutorial for using CandyBar. I'm a bit baffled that you even think using it is a hassle... it's as easy as it gets. Just drag an icon onto the item you want changed. If you download an icon set in the iContainer format, then it'll apply all of them for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.