• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

File types for use with iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
Hi All,

I have just today began using iMovie for the first time to try and help a colleague with a small bit of video editing.

The file type which she has saved on her camera is .MPG. Being a newbie I didn't realise that this file type was not supported (according to research on the internet) so I used Handbrake to convert the file type. I used the preset function in Handbrake to convert to 'Apple Universal' which turned out to be .MP4.

So when I copied the files back to my Mac (converted on Dell as Mac has no internet access at work) they still appeared greyed out. I reconverted the file to .MKV and still appeared greyed out when I copied back...

Am I missing something with the conversion, file types to be used or am I just being a complete numpty??

Many Thanks

C

chas_m

iMovie should have accepted the MP4 file type. MKV is a container not a file type, and iMovie doesn't accept it anyway.

You can use MPEG Streamclip to convert MPG files to DV, which is the way you want to go for maximum preservation of quality (be aware that DV files are HUGE so lots of free space on the HD is a must). You may need to buy the $30 QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback component first.

OP
Snakedoctor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas_m, that's what I thought as well...

Might try and re-encoding them using a different application or try it on my Mac this time, maybe something to do with a PC, unlikely but who knows!

Any other suggestions welcome and I'll keep this post updated!

OP
Snakedoctor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Prism worked like a treat......

Cheers again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.