iMac G5 Wont Recognise CDs

Reaction score
Hey

I just bought a second hand imac core 2 duo 2.16ghz, 2gb ram in mint condition.

It wont recognise cds however it will work with dvds.

Any help for a solution?

Thank you

I have searched but not had much luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well what sort of CD's are we talking about, commercial, system software, computer recorded, and are the CD's CD+R or what? Have you tried running Repair Permissions in whatever operating system you are using, and if you have the original discs, run Apple Hardware Test extended over the machine. It also does happen that cheaper media does present problems and personally only use Verbatim discs. Also a good quality optical drive cleaner may come to your rescue.

OP
L
Reaction score
bowden is

This is just a regular Audio CD purchased from a CD store. I presume either CD +R and CD-R. I have tried multiple disks and the same thing happens. How would I go about repairing permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go into Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, select the drive and run Repair Permissions. Is also possible you have purchased a machine with a wonky optical drive. Because of their thinness, iMacs use a slimmer optical drive which does seem to have a higher fail rate than a tower optical drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iMac G5 after 4 years of use did the reverse. DVD's first would not burn then would not read as time went on. Most CD's would mount but some did not.

I needed a new optical drive. Bought it from OWC. This drive works better than the one that was in the iMac G5 out of the box!

Do try what Harry suggested first though. Can't hurt!

OP
L
Reaction score
Well I just repaired my hard drives permissions and the same problem is happening so I presume I have a faulty CD/DVD Drive.

Is there a cheaper place than OWC I can order a new CD/DVD Drive?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Unless you get a used drive which I would be careful with, OWC is about the best price I have seen and they stand behind their products also.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi,

I have looked at the tutorials on how to replace optical drive and it looks dead easy? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well simple ~ proceed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.