quick help locating browser cache files and cookies

Reaction score
Hello,
I have returned to using mac's after 5 years absence. Many things have changed.
On my PC I can look at the internet files which have been viewed online in a folder called "temporary image files"...examples of pictures and animations which have been viewed. I think it is basically like cache. So if I am looking at my website and photo1.jpg pops up on the page; in the pc's that photo1.jpg is temporarily stored on the hard disk so that if the page is accessed again it will just pop straight up. I'm sure you already know all this; but on the mac it does not look like the browser does this.
I'll try to search out something from the webpage on my hard-disk and nothing comes up. Does it not work this way? Does web content not automatically get stored on the hard disk?
Thx,
M

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i know this is an old thread to dig up, but it's the only thread on the topic that i could find, and basically i have the same question. where are all the files kept that your browser displays, plays, etc? also, i know i can view 'cookies' in safari's preferences, but is there a folder that they're actually kept in?

also is firefox or safari easier to 'track' this way by a user on his/her own sysem. does anyone know the answer for both or either browser?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
seriously - devilboy? rman? schweb? caribiener? no one knows this?

i guess i can try the viewing hidden files trick i learned elsewhere and see if i can do some digging... too bad you can't trick spotlight into finding 'hidden' files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't believe they're stored that way. Safari's cache is kept in ~/Library/Caches/Safari/ but they're all .cache files.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are they 'openable' at all? (ex: context menu - show package contents)

btw, thanks for the reply schweb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Don't know. Have you looked?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i thought i looked a bit, not sure about that specifically, and my macbook is sitting on my lapdesk at home (i'm working). i'll check bit more - and try the hidden files thing when i get a chance in a couple days (or bring my macbook to work tomorrow).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.