MBP Kanex TV help desperately needed!

Reaction score
Help!

I have a Kanex Mini DisplayPort Adapter to HDMI 1080p Video with USB audio, which I simply cannot get to work.

I have it connected from a late 2009 13" MBP to a 32" Samsung 780p TV.

To set up I connected the Mini DisplayPort Adapter, all well, but then on plugging in the USB cord a red light lit up on the adapter, and the MBP's screen briefly goes blue and then just shows the background (and, if I have display prefs open, that as well). Nothing on the TV, it stays black for a bit and then shows 'Mode not Supported'.

In addition, on my MBP, there is no option under Display Preferences for mirroring etc, the only tabs are 'display' (with a choice of resolutions, all of which relate to the MBP, no option for 780 or 1080 etc). I've tried them all to no success.

If you've read this far, then you may well have spotted the error I only just have! Yes, it is a connector to 1080p, while my screen is 780p. Ack.

However, on Kanex's blog, there is a similar situation with a guy who has a 1080i, and their response is as follows:

'When the adapter first boot it will auto ouput to 1080p 1920x1080 resolution. Since your HDTV can only go to 1080i that is why you are seeing the message on your HDTV. Reset the "MDP Adapter" resolution on the Mac OS X to the max resolution of your HDTV which will fix the problem and also set it for future connections. '

Unfortunately, as described above, 'MBP Adpater' does not appear on my MBP, and even using 'detect displays' it won't show up?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks!

As it happens, my posting this query finally forced me into having one last go and it, and I've resolved the problem!

Looking at the Kanex blog posted copied in my question, it seems 'the box' is pre-programmed to work with 1080P, and will ignore anything else. Fortunately the 22" in my bedroom is 1080P, so I tried it on that, and bingo it worked straight away! From there I could reset the box (using resolution in the display panel) to 720P, and sure enough it worked on my 32" 720P Samsung. SO if anyone else has a similar problem, the solution would seem to be to find anyone (including helpful shops etc) who have a 1080P display, connect your MBP and change the setting to 720P, and 'the box' will think that until you change it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.