Firefox lag on 1.2ghz iBook??

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new switcher here, so I figured I would put my question in here in case it is a stupid or common switcher-related issue.

Basically.. I have found that on occasion, firefox can be hang on me a bit.

What I mean by this is typically what happens is that, as I try to any of the following:
a) switch tabs
b) hit page down
c) switch into firefox from another app via apple-tab

Firefox will actually just sorta hang there a sec, and the beachball cursor comes up. Now, this is a fresh install of Tiger, on a 1.2ghz iBook w/ 768MB of ram. The only software I have put on it is: firefox,camino,AIM,Office, and some widgets. Usually when this problem occurs, the only other program that is running is AIM.

Typically I do not leave my computer on overnight as my apartment can get a little hot (upper 70s), so is OS X missing its chance to run its idle-time scripts, causing my firefox issue? Any other solutions?

H

Harryc

You could try disable IPV6 in Firefox. It's a long shot based on your problem description, but worth a try.

In the address line of FF enter:
about:config
(no spaces)
next in the filter line enter:
ipv6

double click on
network.dns.disableIPv6 to change value from "No" to "Yes"

restart Firefox

B

BEEEsH

Harryc said:
You could try disable IPV6 in Firefox. It's a long shot based on your problem description, but worth a try.

In the address line of FF enter:
about:config
(no spaces)
next in the filter line enter:
ipv6

double click on
network.dns.disableIPv6 to change value from "No" to "Yes"

restart Firefox

What does that do?

H

Harryc

BEEEsH said:
What does that do?
"IPv6 is short for "Internet Protocol Version 6". IPv6 is the "next generation" protocol designed by the IETF to replace the current version Internet Protocol, IP Version 4 ("IPv4").

Most of today's internet uses IPv4, which is now nearly twenty years old. IPv4 has been remarkably resilient in spite of its age, but it is beginning to have problems. Most importantly, there is a growing shortage of IPv4 addresses, which are needed by all new machines added to the Internet.

IPv6 fixes a number of problems in IPv4, such as the limited number of available IPv4 addresses. It also adds many improvements to IPv4 in areas such as routing and network autoconfiguration. IPv6 is expected to gradually replace IPv4, with the two coexisting for a number of years during a transition period. "

Due to most servers using IPV4, if you have IPV6 set to enabled, it can slow down your browser dramatically, and in some cases prevent sites from loading.

http://www.ipv6.org/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.