Whats making this thing bog down

Reaction score
I got a new macbook pro and its only a week old. Sometimes when I turn on, it bogs down and hangs up. It acts like my old pc running windows 95. How can I see whats running on this thing. Feels like 15 programs are running all at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Try running Activity Monitor in your Applications / Utilities folder.

You can also go into you System Preferences under accounts and see if you just have a ton of stuff that you set to launch at startup.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok, thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I put it on my toolbar. When I go to applications, its not there. I had to use finder to find it. I also installed firefox. Im wondering if safari was part of the problem. Apple gets a "F" for safari.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's nothing wrong with Safari. Benchmarks by MacWorld have shown that it's still the fastest browser for OS X, and Apple continues to improve it. If your machine is being bogged down it's likely being caused by either a slow connection on your end or programs that may be loading on startup and running in the background.

If you continue to have problems you might want to take advantage of your warranty and make an appointment with Apple to have it looked at.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
I know, I know. I shouldn't have posted that safari is junk. Im use to firefox, safari is different.

Using the activity monitor, seems Im keeping stuff running. I think I found my problem. I was messing around with video editing stuff, then I thought I closed it, but it kept running. What is the proper way to close apps? obiviously the red x is not the correct way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some apps will close by pressing the red X others will not. The best way is to click on the app's menu item and select quit. Or if it's located in your Dock, right click and select quit. There are other ways also.

Regards.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Coming from Windows (or Linux), all new user expect that the red X will close the application..that had me going for a bit when I switched over about a year ago..but in MOST situations..the red X just closes the window, the application continues to run as witnessed by the light under the applications icon in the Dock. You've got to hit ⌘+q to quit properly..

Regards

C

chas_m

Some apps will close by pressing the red X others will not. The best way is to click on the app's menu item and select quit. Or if it's located in your Dock, right click and select quit. There are other ways also.

Nothing you wrote above is incorrect per se, but it's worth mentioning that the DEFAULT behaviour of ALL mac apps is that you have to quit (by menu, or command-q, or the dock method, whatever). Apple's interface guidelines are quite clear on this point, even though Apple themselves break this rule occasionally.

For most apps, the "red X" doesn't actually quit the app, so its best to get out of the habit of using the "red X" entirely and always quit apps with File->Quit or command-q. Even though there are some widely-used apps that will quit when you close them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nothing you wrote above is incorrect per se, but it's worth mentioning that the DEFAULT behaviour of ALL mac apps is that you have to quit (by menu, or command-q, or the dock method, whatever). Apple's interface guidelines are quite clear on this point, even though Apple themselves break this rule occasionally.
Not all apps follow Apple's IG though. Apps I write don't nor have I ever looked at them. That probably means I don't design apps properly but don't blame me, blame wxPython. ;)

Here seems to be Apple's stance on the close button:
In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main window.

OP
G
Reaction score
Update, its still doing it. I power it up and this thing has the cpu burried. Looks like to me nuttin is running but the cpu is cooking. Any other suggestions?

Screenshot2010-07-09at729.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Update, its still doing it. I power it up and this thing has the cpu burried. Looks like to me nuttin is running but the cpu is cooking. Any other suggestions?

Screenshot2010-07-09at729.jpg

You're only looking at your own processes; the red in the graph indicates a system process. Choose "all processes" from the popup menu to show everything.

Not all apps follow Apple's IG though. Apps I write don't nor have I ever looked at them. That probably means I don't design apps properly but don't blame me, blame wxPython. ;)

It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
I opened a support ticket, jeesh... didn't think id be having issues this fast. I hope this is something simple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.