keyboard not working on powermac G5

Reaction score
a few days ago i was playing around with some extra ram i found for my old G5( i just tried installing extra ram which didnt work). since then my keyboard doesnt seem to work, the mac will load up to the login screen and i cant do anything from there. i cant even load up the open firmware console. i have tried 2 different mac keyboards on all 3 usb ports. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Got the system install disc for whatever OS you are using and it does help if you provide details? Try and boot from that and run Repair Permissions.

OP
N
Reaction score
i wanted to do that but i can get the cd drive open (since the keyboard doesnt work ) :-( .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i wanted to do that but i can get the cd drive open (since the keyboard doesnt work ) :-( .

Yeah...the keyboard not working is a pain in the butt!;)

What you can do to open the CD drive without a keyboard is first plug your mouse directly into one of your Powermac G5's USB ports. Then you can do one of two things:

1. Open iTunes & click on the eject button (I think it might be in the lower right hand corner of the window)...if not, it's there somewhere.
2. You can customize your "toolbar" at the top right of the window where the time & date appear to include an CD/DVD Eject button (if you don't have one there already. To do this:

- In the Finder, choose Customize Toolbar from the View menu. In the window that appears, drag the Eject button to the toolbar, then click the Done button.

Here's an Apple document that explains things as well:

Power Mac G5 and Mac Pro: How to open the CD/DVD tray

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.