virus protection/scanning

Reaction score
Howdy... while i am aware that i am unlikely to need antiviral software for my imac per se (anytime soon at least), i have a pc laptop that i use quite a lot as well. i have several thumb drives that i tote around for business and i discovered a nasty trojan tucked away on one of those.

i'd like to be able to plug the thumb drives into my imac to check them before letting them anywhere near my PC. You know, with the mac being immune and all.

Is there a good program out there for scanning for viruses that would work on my mac? I've read on CNET that a lot of these cause more problems than solve/prevent. I don't want to scan my mac drive though, just the thumb drives so I can rest easier when I plug them into my PC.

any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Howdy... while i am aware that i am unlikely to need antiviral software for my imac per se (anytime soon at least), i have a pc laptop that i use quite a lot as well. i have several thumb drives that i tote around for business and i discovered a nasty trojan tucked away on one of those.

i'd like to be able to plug the thumb drives into my imac to check them before letting them anywhere near my PC. You know, with the mac being immune and all.

Is there a good program out there for scanning for viruses that would work on my mac? I've read on CNET that a lot of these cause more problems than solve/prevent. I don't want to scan my mac drive though, just the thumb drives so I can rest easier when I plug them into my PC.

any ideas?

You could scan them with ClamXAV. But given a decent AV product for your Windows machine(s), it shouldn't be necessary. Keep in mind that trojans are not self-propagating. So you wouldn't be infected just by plugging the drive in - you'd have to execute the program willfully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And a decent AV for your PC is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a free program scanning for viruses and malware and easy to update.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! I have AVG on the PC but the place I picked up this little gem of a virus from has had SO much trouble trying to get it cleaned up. I really can't afford to have my machines go down for something like that.

I was worried that maybe plugging it in would trigger some kind of script. I hand-code web pages but I know nothing about actual programming.

thanks for responding :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.