iBook won't load OS

Reaction score
I am new to Mac, so please bear with me if I tend to slip into Windows thinking here and there. I have a iBook G4 14" that was not working when I received it and I was told the hard drive had crashed. I replaced the hard drive and now when I power up to load OS X from a valid install disk, I get a small flashing folder. If I hold down the C key while powering up, I get a circular arrow on the left side of the screen and a right arrow on the right side of the screen. The cursor is active, but yields no results when I click on either arrow. I can hear the CD drive spinning like it is trying to start up, then nothing.

I do not know what any of these icons mean, and so far have had no luck searching forums. I'm hoping to get an idea from these symptoms whether or not the logic board is failing, or if there are other areas I should pursue.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I replaced the hard drive and now when I power up to load OS X from a valid install disk, I get a small flashing folder.

Having a "valid" install disk may not be enough. If the disk is gray colored...it probably won't work with your iBook...and/or...if you're trying to install an OS version that's not compatible with the iBook...that could also be the problem.

So basically...you need to give us more details on this install disk you're using.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Nick. Sorry, I used the term valid to mean they are OEM disks. The OS X install disk I am using (actually 2 disks) is Mac OS X v10.2. They are white with a large leopard skin X on them. I bought them from Apple and used them to reinstall the OS on a MacBook laptop, so just assumed they would be OK for this one. If that may be the problem, can you direct me to the correct install disk or version?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply, Nick. Sorry, I used the term valid to mean they are OEM disks. The OS X install disk I am using (actually 2 disks) is Mac OS X v10.2. They are white with a large leopard skin X on them. I bought them from Apple and used them to reinstall the OS on a MacBook laptop, so just assumed they would be OK for this one. If that may be the problem, can you direct me to the correct install disk or version?

Thanks for the additional info. I apologize for being such a "stickler" for details but some terminology you're using can be confusing:

1. It sounds like you have an iBook G4 laptop, with a 14" display. No problem here...but in your 2nd post you used the term "MacBook laptop". "MacBook" & "MacBook Pro" are the names of the laptops Apple is currently selling. So when you say iBook or MacBook these are two totally different Apple laptop models (and not interchangeable terms).

2. Regarding the install disks. You said they are Mac OS 10.2 (no problems)...but you mentioned "Leopard Skin". Mac OS 10.2 was called "Jaguar"...so technically the photo on the OS 10.2 disks is a "Jaguar Skin".;) The reason why I mention this is because the name of Mac OS 10.5 is called "Leopard"...so this could lead to some confusion between OS 10.2 & 10.5.

OK enough of that!;)

So if I have it straight...you have:

- a two disk set of Mac OS 10.2 "Jaguar" install disks
- and you have a 14" G4 iBook.

It would help if I knew exactly what model iBook G4 you have (there were many different models, knowing the cpu speed would help)...but using the info I have so far...the first & oldest 14" iBook G4 shipped with a version of Mac OS 10.3. So this would mean that trying to install Mac OS 10.2 would not work on your computer, because Mac OS 10.2 is too old.

Of course if your iBook is different than you describe (14" iBook G4)...then that might change things.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks again, Nick. Sorry for the confusion. My reference to MacBook was on the initial use of the install disks I purchased from Apple. The laptop I'm having a problem with is indeed a ibook G4 14". I am not sure of the specs, as there is not a model number or any descriptive info that I can find on it. The OS disks I have are OS X v10.2, and I see your point about the difference between leopard and jaguar......the X on the disks are jaguar. I also have v10.6, but assume that is much too new to work on the iBook.

If the OS version is the problem, would that give the error icons I described?

Also...I've been reading several threads about logic board problems with this model Mac. Do you suppose that could be related? Sorry the questions are so vague, but Apple's error icons are not very well documented at all.

Ron

Reaction score
Thanks again, Nick. Sorry for the confusion. My reference to MacBook was on the initial use of the install disks I purchased from Apple. The laptop I'm having a problem with is indeed a ibook G4 14". I am not sure of the specs, as there is not a model number or any descriptive info that I can find on it. The OS disks I have are OS X v10.2, and I see your point about the difference between leopard and jaguar......the X on the disks are jaguar. I also have v10.6, but assume that is much too new to work on the iBook.

If the OS version is the problem, would that give the error icons I described?

Also...I've been reading several threads about logic board problems with this model Mac. Do you suppose that could be related? Sorry the questions are so vague, but Apple's error icons are not very well documented at all.

Ron

Click "About this Mac" then click "more info", it shows all the specs. I have a 14" ibook too but I can't help with your other problem. Hope this helps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ron

Ron,

The only error message you mentioned so far was the folder icon with the blinking "?". That is definitely the indication that your iBook's hard drive does not have a valid OS on it to boot from.

"Kyle0614's" suggestion is a good one...except it doesn't help you, since you cannot boot your computer to follow those instructions.

Based on what I can find...(at a minimum) you need Mac OS 10.3 "Panther" for your G4 14" iBook...

- 10.2 is too old.
- You could install 10.4 "Tiger".
- depending on your iBooks cpu speed, you could install 10.5 "Leopard"
- you cannot install OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard"

Some of these OS install disks can run you more than $100 dollars...so not a inexpensive purchase.

The only other possibility is that your hard drive may be "dead". But in that case you would still need an OS install disk to install an OS on the replacement hard drive.

If you had an install disk...you could boot your computer from the OS CD/DVD...and that would also help us figure out if your hard drive is bad.

Bottom line is...you NEED a compatible OS install disk of some sort before we can figure things out further.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
OK. I understand what you are saying about the proper OS version. I will look for a 10.3 version, and give that a try.

Here's some additional info I have learned since starting work on this issue:
- when I press the power button (not pressing any other keys) I get the chime, then the flashing folder with a question mark. This flashing folder changes back and forth from the question mark to a mac happy face icon. While this is happening, I can hear the CD drive spinning as though it is trying to start up. Nothing else happens.

- when I press the power button and hold down the Option key (I read that should give icons for all the bootable devices) I do not get the flashing folders, I get a blue screen with a circular arrow on the left and a straight arrow on the right. The cursor is active and I can select either arrow. The circular arrow seems to start the CD drive running, but nothing else happens. The right arrow does nothing.

- I replaced the hard drive and get the same results....however, while replacing the hard drive and bench testing start-up, I noticed the CPU fan does not run. The CD spins, the Hard Drive spins, and I get the same screen icons, but the CPU fan never runs. In Windows, this would likely stop a system from booting up....but I do not know about Mac. Could this be part of the issue?

I looked up more info on the specs, and as best I can determine, they are:
- model A1055
- 1.33Ghz PowerPC
- 1Gb memory stick
- 60Gb HD
- late 2004 intro
- released with OS X 10.3 installed, upgradeable to 10.5

I appreciate your willingness to help me run this issue in a corner. Maybe a 10.3 install disk will do it. I just wish Apple would publish more information on the various system icons they use. I will be out of touch for a couple of weeks, but hopefully can get a OS disk in the interim, and will post back when I return.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Early 09), PowerBook G4 12" (DVI), Macintosh LCII, Macintosh Classic
I looked up your model of iBook and found that the earliest version of OS X to come on that model was 10.3.5. Therefore, it would be safe to assume that the oldest version that will work on there is 10.3.5. Being that you have a 1.33GHz G4 and 1GB RAM, 10.4 (Tiger) would run quite well on that machine. It should also be easier to find a copy of Tiger than Panther. If you decide on getting Tiger, make sure the disc is black with a grey X on it. If the disc is grey, it is most likely an OEM copy that came with an Intel Mac and will not work on any PowerPC based Mac. Installing Leopard would be pushing it in my opinion. While Leopard is newer, it will most likely run too slow. I have some experience running Leopard on G4 Macs and none of them ran it too well. Tiger will likely be the sweet spot.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK. I am back from vacation and attacking the Mac start-up issue again with an old iBook G4. I obtained a copy of OS X Panther 10.3. When I start up, I get the Apple logo for several seconds while the CD spins, then I get the universal "no" symbol (circle with a left slash). Any advice on what this lilkely means? Again, thanks.
Ron

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I tried all the suggestions and still get the "no" symbol after the Apple icon appears...or, if I hold down the C key while starting up, it freezes on the Apple icon. Darn!!!!

OP
R
Reaction score
Also....I should have stated....currently, I have a new hard drive (no OS installed) and trying to boot from the Mac OS x v 10.3 install disc. When I just press the start button (no other keys pressed) that's when I get the Apple logo and then the "no" icon. When I press start with the C key depressed, I get the Apple icon and then it freezes.

Don't know what to try next.

Ron

OP
R
Reaction score
I am closing this thread with no solution. However, I appreciate all the responses and attempts to help me. It is unfortunate that Apple chooses to keep most of their problem resolution information hidden, so one is forced to seek out Apple (paid) help to resolve problems. Otherwise, they may have more customers....I will remain with Windows.
Thanks.
Ron

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.