iPad 2g{?}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
How about we all relax. Let's just agree that while there is little possibility of an iPad upgrade later this year, there could just be a slight chance that an upgrade might happen. Keep in mind the schweb isn't arguing that there will definitely be an upgrade, he's just saying don't discount it as a possibility.

Agreed. I'm an early adopter and have no regrets with my decision. I like to shake my head at people who continually argue about the iPad's failure because it doesn't have a camera (or whatever they want to cry about). It does what was advertised and it does it well. If Apple wants to improve on it then I'm all for it, but I'm not buying another iPad for quite some time or there is a significant upgrade in either the hardware and/or software to make me jump up and buy it.

C

chas_m

Well, the earth could be destroyed by a comet before the next iPad upgrade, so sure ... anything COULD happen. I did bracket my posts by saying this is my opinion and what I've backed that up with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well, the earth could be destroyed by a comet before the next iPad upgrade, so sure ... anything COULD happen. I did bracket my posts by saying this is my opinion and what I've backed that up with.

I'm actually waiting for Apple to package $100 bills in with the iPad before I buy another one. Hopefully that happens before the comet comes. :D

C

chas_m

I'm actually waiting for Apple to package $100 bills in with the iPad before I buy another one. Hopefully that happens before the comet comes. :D

It already comes with a free pony, what more do you want?

I swear, some people are never satisfied. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

MINE DIDN'T COME WITH A PONY!

I'm suing.

O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Lol...If I wasn't so lazy I'd look up that photoshopped iPad with 100 cameras on it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I don't know if I want an iPad now if it comes with a pony...I don't need all that crap!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if I want an iPad now if it comes with a pony...I don't need all that crap!!!;)

- Nick

Steve said you need it...don't question it. :p

C

chas_m

I should have mentioned the pony comes dressed in a black turtleneck and is actually a sparkly unicorn. :)

Reaction score
Reasons:

3. The iPad is already getting a huge boost just in time for the holidays -- it's called iOS 4. There's no need to roll out a hardware revision when such a stunning software revision is already coming up (and the idea that Apple would make a new model just to up the RAM is flatly laughable).

Adding RAM is not a revision. it is an addition.

5. Bringing out a new iPad (which would presumably have significant hardware improvements like Retina Displays and front-facing cameras) anytime before January at the very earliest would be met with HOWLS of anger from the early adopters

This isn't a phone, laptop, computer, ipod, or tv. it is an entirely new device, one step in the culmination of said devices. early adopters knew exactly what they were buying, and there were many of them. consider the type. Plenty of income, excited, curious. i doubt they'll "howl". Whatever upgrade another ipad might get, i'll bet they would at least nod in agreement, and probably splurge on another one.

7. Third parties (as well as Apple itself) are building a huge eco-system of add-ons around the current model. Not only would Apple be flatly insane to sabotage this eco-system by changing the hardware in ANY WAY, those partners would be horribly "burned" by the experience. They need MONTHS of heads-up to redesign and change manufacturing for their add-ons and would lose MILLIONS if Apple suddenly changed the hardware.

You're kidding, right? nothing you said in the above quote is even close to correct aside from the fact that they are building add ons. did apple sabotage said parties and themselves with iP4? El oh el. No. OMG MONTHS of time. MONTHS. Shame on you, Apple. For shame. MONTHS. MOOOOOONTHS!!!! You're so wrong here it is hilarious. how long has it been since iP4? less than a month? google 'iphone 4 accessories'. it's up to the manufacturer if they want to be on top of things or behind the 8 ball. My buddy is STILL waiting on his iPad case that he saw to be made and shipped to him.

8. Any changes in the hardware would also require changes in software: not just the iOS, but coding changes in any software that wanted to take advantage of, for example, a front-facing camera or an added gyroscope, etc. Apple would have to AT LEAST give app developers a heads-up on when they expect that to happen, but nobody's leaked a WORD of that to ANY news or rumour source? That's kind of a dead giveaway right there.

again, you're joking right? the software for cameras and gyroscope is BUILT IN TO IOS4. When on earth has Apple EVER given ANYONE a heads up? They aren't exactly known for that. Leaks don't always happen bud. Yeah, it took awhile for app developers to utilize all the new features of iP4, and hardly any of them have upped the resolution to retina, which is too bad. no biggie though.

and who said iPad 1 is going anywhere? can't the ipads all just get along? if anything, another ipad before xmas would be the smartest thing they ever did. iP1 gets a nice price drop, iP2 moves in to the original price points, giving consumers more options. how many $250/$300 16gig iPads would Apple sell this xmas? a bazilliajilliatrillion. doy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What chas_m said is 100% correct. And you saying it's not correct just shows how little you know about things.

Reaction score
"any changes in hardware require changes in software"

Uh, no. Not correct. So he is not 100% correct. The software is already built in. No reprogramming required. If iPad gets a gyro or more
Ram, ios4 will automatically recognize it. It's the same os. Did you actually have anything to say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What chas_m said is 100% correct. And you saying it's not correct just shows how little you know about things.

What he said was not 100% correct. Some was fact, and some was opinion.

Let's just be honest...I think even chas_m would agree with that statement. If it were all fact, there are more than a few statements in there that I could factually disprove.

C

chas_m

Apple can't build iPads fast enough to meet demand NOW. There is zero chance of a new iPad model this year, and given today's estimates I wouldn't expect a revised model for quite some time beyond that now.

Reaction score
If you go back and read this thread, no one really says iPad 2 is coming this year. Just the OP with a question of when.

Schweb is the only person expecting anything, and even then he's only expecting RAM to get bumped up to 512, in line with iP4.

"iOS 4.1 for the iPad is rumored to hit in November and I predict we'll we see the new model then, right in time for the holidays.

I don't think we'll see a camera or other major revision until next year."

Calm down Chas.

No one implied they were making a new model to bump up the RAM. That's just what you assumed. It started with people talking about what the next one might look like, then schweb said it won't be changed, just bumped up to 512, and you fused the two together.

No one - read from the beginning of the thread - said iPad 2 is coming this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
The iPad has only been available since 23rd July, not even a month yet in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore. I believe other Countries are still waiting.
My Take:
Zero chance of any hardware update this year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.