How do I RAR Files ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
Hi Guys

Sorry the Mac n00b again.

How does one create RAR Archives on the iMac ?

I have a home made movie that I want to split to 100MB parts and upload to RapidShare. On Windows I used WinRAR (Great Program). I also want to add Recovery and set a password on the Archive. WinRAR was able to do all that.

What should I use on the iMac ?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks 6String

I found about that program { SimplyRAR 1.10 } through google, but I would like to hear recommendations from someone who has actually worked with RARing files.

Hence I ask here in the forum.

Thanks though. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use BetterZip and it does a good job of splitting into multiple files. The only problem is that it does not create RAR files (although it does open them). Any reason you need to use RAR in particular?

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi cwa107

Nope I don't have a good reason. It is just what I have used since I started on computers.

I'm getting the feeling that Macs do not have any programs that deal with RAR-ing !!

By the way .. the program doesn't have to be free. I'm ready to pay for a good program that would do the job. :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi cwa107

Nope I don't have a good reason. It is just what I have used since I started on computers.

Well, BetterZip will do exactly what you're describing with ZIP and a variety of other formats, just not RAR.

I'm getting the feeling that Macs do not have any programs that deal with RAR-ing !!

Well, UnRARx, BetterZip, TheUnarchiver and StuffIt Expander all deal with RAR files. I'm just not sure which, if any, will create a split RAR file.

By the way .. the program doesn't have to be free. I'm ready to pay for a good program that would do the job. :(

I'd recommend BetterZip.

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks LifeIsABeach.

RarMachine was just what I needed. I am going to buy it .. after I have tested out all of its functions of course ;)

Thanks once again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.