Advice on the Best Set Up for Music Production on a Budget

Reaction score
My son has just finished a music course at college. He is taking a year out and wants to concentrate on music production. He is on a budget so can anyone advise the how to spend his money as far as hardware and software are concerned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My son has just finished a music course at college. He is taking a year out and wants to concentrate on music production. He is on a budget so can anyone advise the how to spend his money as far as hardware and software are concerned.

My crystal ball isn't working so well today;)...so maybe you could give us an idea of how much this budget is so we can help.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Logic Pro, or Protools&Mbox

If he wants to record with Logic he'll need an interface and mics, but if he's finished a course he should know all this already.

What does he have already, what are his needs and what is the budget?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
What's his budget? And does he already have a Mac? Does he know any software such as Logic/Pro Tools/Cubase? Does he already have any other gear?

These would make it possible to answer your question, currently there are too many variables to do so.

Reaction score
I went through this and took way too much time to do it.

It comes down to:

1. How many channels of audio do you want to record at once?

2. What software do you like and want to run?

If you can afford it, Apogee boxes are absolute magic. The sound quality is stunning, and a kid who just got out of school will appreciate this.

I advise asking the kid. He should well know what he wants if he just finished a course and is doing his own homework.

If money is the bid question I would agree with the above poster who mentioned ProTools and mBox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to Apogee. There are lots of devices which provide "stunning" sound and if he is going to need proper microphones and mic pres there are definite contenders if not better.

But yes, it really is a personal preference from your son, with what he wants, needs and the type of sound he wants to produce.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.