This is a massive DOH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Guys,

I have stupidly deleted safari from my system - trashed it and the emptied the trash.. I really miss it and want it back desperately - please tell me that my worst nightmare is happening.

Would it work if I just reloaded tiger onto my ibook or would I have to go further than that.. Any help would be much appreciated..

Regards

Homer_J

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
homer_j said:
Guys,

I have stupidly deleted safari from my system - trashed it and the emptied the trash.. I really miss it and want it back desperately - please tell me that my worst nightmare is happening.

Would it work if I just reloaded tiger onto my ibook or would I have to go further than that.. Any help would be much appreciated..

Regards

Homer_J

Just go download Safari from the Apple site.

Amen-Moses

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen-Moses said:
Just go download Safari from the Apple site.

Amen-Moses

I can't find a full version of it - only updates. I have tried downloading this but doesn't work. I think its part of the OS rather than a free 4 all browser like mozilla firefox..If you have a link, then great as I could be completely wrong and it wouldnt be the first time...

Reaction score
not sure where at apple site but it's there free I had to reload it few months back

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have just found safari 1.2 - downloaded but now it is saying that i cannot install it on this volume??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
homer_j said:
i have just found safari 1.2 - downloaded but now it is saying that i cannot install it on this volume??

Safari 1.2 is for Panther. You mentioned you're running Tiger, so you want Safari 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Padawan said:
Safari 1.2 is for Panther. You mentioned you're running Tiger, so you want Safari 2.0.

Yes, and you'll need your Tiger install CD, and an application like Pacifist to pry Safari out of the Tiger installer.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guyd, but I think I will have to dig my tiger cd out. It wants 1.2 installing before it will do anything..
I will be back shouting for help again if I get stuck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that link i sent you should be a drop down for all the versions...select 1.1.1 and that could work

just another suggestion

B

BEEEsH

coach_z said:
that link i sent you should be a drop down for all the versions...select 1.1.1 and that could work

just another suggestion

Whats so good about safari, i've never used it.

I use mostly firefox.

Any advantages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Safari has proven a fantastic browser to me. I use nothing else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
BEEEsH said:
Whats so good about safari, i've never used it.

I use mostly firefox.

Any advantages?
It's very 'Apple' in its look & feel, whereas Firefox is a bit too hectic for me...

I also love features like built-in spell checker, RSS reading and the fact that bookmarks are really easy to manage.

I know that Firefox can do all these things and is probably more customizable, but Safari is the way I like it right out of the box...

B

BEEEsH

Aptmunich said:
It's very 'Apple' in its look & feel, whereas Firefox is a bit too hectic for me...

I also love features like built-in spell checker, RSS reading and the fact that bookmarks are really easy to manage.

I know that Firefox can do all these things and is probably more customizable, but Safari is the way I like it right out of the box...

Is it any lighter or faster?
Use less ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
If safari had tabs, i would use it. But to be honest, i only ever use safari when it opens a link or i am in multiple ebay accounts, as the tabs do it for me. Thats all!

Oh and also in firefox, theres a wonderful thing called 'stumble' www.stumbleupon.com
This is one of the best addons for a webbrowser i have ever found, you really pull up some gems on the web
Alex

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
alexmaccoll said:
If safari had tabs, i would use it.

It does so you should.

Amen-Moses

I

ichiro7

alexmaccoll said:
If safari had tabs, i would use it. But to be honest, i only ever use safari when it opens a link or i am in multiple ebay accounts, as the tabs do it for me. Thats all!
Alex

if? safari has tabs.

L

Littleweseth

(i'm a mac n00b running panther. forgiveness?)
Does safari 2.0 (which i gather is the Tiger version) have tabs, or do all new Safari versions have tabs? I'm using 1.2.4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.