Upgrading iMac RAM

Reaction score
So I bought an iMac i5 with 4gb RAM. What can I say, obsolutely awesome machine. These display is incredible. Blazing fast and beautiful graphics. Now I only got the 4GB RAM with intention to upgrade to 8GB myself. However, I'm runnig Vista 32-bit in Boot Camp. I would assume that if i upgrade to 8GB, 32-bit vista will not run? 4Gb to 8Gb is not a huge deal, but it would be helpful once I get all my photography gear up and running, although it is more of a hobby than a profession so a slight increase in speed wouldn't be too important. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
With 8 gig OSX will be able to use all 8 gig, even when running its kernal in 32 bit mode.

Of course Windows Vista 32 bit will still see and report all 8 gig in bootcamp, but shockingly only be able to use about 3.5 gig at most foe Windows and all Windows apps.

So OSX will use the lot, Windows will know all 8 gig is there but only use less than half of it.

Its explained better here.

AppleInsider | Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bits, Santa Rosa, and more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
(deleted double post)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.