No Apple Refurbs Usually come with Office?

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a refurbished Macbook and need to have Office 08 for Mac. I know with a new Mac this is a free option, but not available as an add-on with a refurb.

Although at the bottom of the software list it states: "Note: Other software may or may not be included (pre-installed or on CD's/DVD's) with refurbished products, subject to availability"

For those who have purchased an Apple refurbished Macbook, did yours come with any extra software other than iLife and Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
New and refurbished Macs come with the same software.
Office is not included "free" with new or refurb Macs.
You can get free versions of word such as openorg and neooffice however.
The only extras that may come with a refurb is if the original owner has upgraded the HD and/or RAM, which will not be listed on the site, but may be a pleasant surprise to the new owner if it has been user upgraded.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/neooffice.html
http://download.openoffice.org/

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I suppose I didn't state that if I buy new I would be getting an education discount since I am a teacher and it does come with Office without extra charge - so then I have to factor in buying Office if I get a refurbished one. Hmmm....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
If you get a refurbished Mac and find some extra preinstalled software or some extra CD's/DVD's that's because someone originally ordered it that way but then returned it for some reason. So Apple checks over everything then resets the OS to the way out of the box, with any extras included such as having iWork, Final Cut Express 4, MS Office '08, or any of the other preinstalled build-to-order options the original buyer decided on when they originally ordered the Mac off the Apple Online Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well I suppose I didn't state that if I buy new I would be getting an education discount since I am a teacher and it does come with Office without extra charge - so then I have to factor in buying Office if I get a refurbished one. Hmmm....

Huh? Where are you buying your Mac from, because as far as I knew, Apple did not include Office "for free" with any new Mac, even for educational purchases, unless that changed in the last 6 days.

Most likely, you're just getting the discounted Student and Teacher edition as part of the total price Apple would have given you.

If you're buying it from someone other than Apple, then it's that store's policy, it's not something Apple does.

OP
M
Reaction score
Huh? Where are you buying your Mac from, because as far as I knew, Apple did not include Office "for free" with any new Mac, even for educational purchases, unless that changed in the last 6 days.

Most likely, you're just getting the discounted Student and Teacher edition as part of the total price Apple would have given you.

If you're buying it from someone other than Apple, then it's that store's policy, it's not something Apple does.
Well, I'm no expert by any means for certain, but...

over the last weeks I have built "my" 15" macbook pro on apple.com a hundred times to check and recheck my price and in the box where you add on Office Student Edition/Home Edition there is no price and it does not add/subtract any $ whether you add it or take it off. So, that seems to me that they will install it for free. Please correct my thinking if I am off!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, they sure are if you order direct from Apple education store online right now. Just checked it out.

It's either in error to your advantage or MS has given them some free copies at this point in time. In either case, it sure makes it a no brainer to add it on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It appears there is a fault online, as when you check that box, you will also notice that it is not added to the specifications on the right of the screen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It appears there is a fault online, as when you check that box, you will also notice that it is not added to the specifications on the right of the screen.

That could be also. It indeed does not add it to the configuration area. Anything else that gets checked is added there.

It does change the ships within 24 hours to a 1-3 day availability just above it though.

Could be they're out of stock at this time and left it sitting there instead of removing it from the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried adding it to my cart.

Once you actually add the computer to your cart, it does increase the price by the $129.95.

It still does not list it in the configuration though. Think I'd be sort of skeptical about doing it until that glitch gets fixed.
Or maybe placing the order by phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried it on the 2.4GHz MBP in Oz (au site).
No Office - A$2199.00
With Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student Edition A$2378.00
With Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac: Business Edition A$2,648.00

Youch!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It might be a special thing then if it is free, but it's not the norm.

MS might be running a special to clear out inventory since 2011 is coming later this year.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to add my 2 cents!;)

My wife recently had the opportunity to purchase MS Office 2008 through her employer for $20 bucks. Which is probably a special deal so she can do work at home...ooh boy!!!;)

Anyway...if she can get Office 2008 for $20 bucks...I could see a special "free" deal for Office 2008 being offered somewhere (especially education channels) for free with the purchase of a new Apple computer.

I'm not saying I have any knowledge of this "free" deal being offered anywhere...but I could see it being possible (and the "free" price most likely subsidized in some way by the educational institution).

- Nick

p.s. Plus exactly like Schweb said...with Office 2011 coming out soon...clearing out the old 2008 version is one way to "clean the distribution pipes"!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.