MacbookPro to my HDTV - HDMI, no audio

Reaction score
I have been researching about how to hook up my laptop to my HDTV so that I can use my TV as the monitor. I just wanted to try and clarify my understanding of this. On my laptop, I have a DVI-I Dual Port, and I was hoping that I could buy an DVI to HDMI adapter and then a HDMI to HDMI cable to hook up the adapter to my HDTV. But unfortunately I believe that if I do this, I will not have audio from my laptop to my TV. Is this the case or will the HDMI cable also transfer the audio over also? I don't quite understand why you can hook up an Xbox for example with HDMI to HDMI and the audio will go through to the TV but on the videos that I have watched, when hooking up your laptop to your HDTV, you also need the yellow and red audio cables hooking up to your audio jack in your laptop. If the HDMI cable will not transfer the audio I suppose I would just plug my speakers into my laptop and it would have the same result but it seems less hassle to just have the HDMI cable do all the work. Thanks for all responses. Have a good day!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While we need all the info requested in the link chscag has provided for making cabling recommendations - to answer your basic question...

While HDMI can carry both video and audio, DVI only carries video - no audio.

So, when you hook up a HDMI cable to a DVI port, there is no audio present to be passed to the HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is not capable of producing something from nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.