iMac and Windows 7 64-bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, Mavericks10.9.1; Macbook Pro 13", Intel Dual-core 2.66GHz 8GB, Ma
I am new to Macs. I purchased an iMac under the impression it was a 64-bit system, hardware and software, and that I could install Windows 7 64-bit using bootcamp. After purchasing I find I am unable to - my local Apple store tells me it is not possible at this time but that Apple is working on software modifications to accomodate a 64-bit operating system. Does anyone know if Apple actually is working on the above modifications and if so when will they be released?

Reaction score
Bootcamp already supports 64 bit OS. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on my MacBook Pro.

I am new to Mac as well, but the only thing I could think of is possibly your Mac doesn't have a 64 Bit CPU... I find that hard to believe, though. What are the specs of your model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, Mavericks10.9.1; Macbook Pro 13", Intel Dual-core 2.66GHz 8GB, Ma
Thanks for your suggestions

I will update and read the information in the suggested websites.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My 2008 vintage MBP runs 64-bit Windows 7 just fine. Can you give us some more specific details on what drivers you're missing?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unable to update Boot Camp

I will update and read the information in the suggested websites.

System has Boot Camp 3.0.1, when I click on Apple - Software Update, it reports, after checking for new software, "software update does not have any new software for your computer at this time". Yet Boot Camp 3.0.1 remains. Is there anyway to force it to update to Boot Camp 3.1 ? I have a recent iMac 21.5" with Snow Leopard OS 10.6.3. Any help would be appreciated.:

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I downloaded it but when double click it opens as a text document. I am new to Macs and must be missing a simple step. ??

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded Boot Camp 3.1 64-bit.exe. When double clicked it opened as a text document. I am new to Macs and must have missed a simple step to make it function. Any suggestions?? Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a Windows executable and needs to be downloaded and run within Windows.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a Windows executable and needs to be downloaded and run within Windows.

Thanks. I am missing something. I need to run Boot Camp to partition my drive and format the partition in NTFS format in order to install my Windows 7 64-bit operating system. The Boot Camp on my iMac is version 3.0.1 which only allows me to partition and format as a FAT32. How can I open the Boot Camp 3.1 that I downloaded in Windows if I don't have Windows installed on my computer?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I am missing something. I need to run Boot Camp to partition my drive and format the partition in NTFS format in order to install my Windows 7 64-bit operating system. The Boot Camp on my iMac is version 3.0.1 which only allows me to partition and format as a FAT32. How can I open the Boot Camp 3.1 that I downloaded in Windows if I don't have Windows installed on my computer?

Boot Camp is not a program that runs Windows for you. It's 2 components - a partition utility and a driver package. Use the Boot Camp Assistant to partition your drive. Don't worry about the format of the drive for now. Then, install Windows. Once you're finished, install the Boot Camp drivers from your OS X disc. Then, just run the Apple Software Update (within Windows) and it will bring the driver versions up to speed. You don't need the file you just downloaded unless you've got an existing installation of Windows and don't want to use the Apple Software Update tool in Windows (for whatever reason).

Also, you can either format the partition as NTFS from within Windows setup, or you can open a command prompt at anytime from within Windows and type:

convert c: /fs:NTFS

It just takes a minute or two.

Another tip: You'll be prompted to print out the Boot Camp documentation when you first run the Boot Camp Assistant. DO IT. Read it and then continue. It will save you hours of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.